Advice on how to fit a new steering box please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Ben, I’d just go on the roll forwards and back first of all to centralise your steering and take the nut right off the drop arm then run it up and down a couple of times to clean out the thread . You’ll maybe need a decent puller to get the drop arm off. If possible, save the original rubber doughnut thingy as a lot of the repros have reinforcing that negates the earthing / isolating that the original had, and makes your horn go off. :shock: :msn4: :shock: A lot .
When fitted, don’t gronch up the adjuster or it’ll wear mucho quicko :roll:
Only tough bit really is the drop arm.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I got a home made puller if you get stuck :mrgreen:

Thanks very much for the advice.
Never replaced one before so always worth seeking advice from those that have gone before!
Might give it a go this Saturday morning!
Presume the higher I can get the front in the air the easier / better access I’ll have?

It's also a job I've got on my list, complete with a recon late-bay box. Have you already got a cutout in your inner-valance so it fits properly?

The above picture is definitely not of a recon late box. I've just got mine out to check and looks completely different.

Latest posts