CV joints

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got two nasty surprises today from the bus!

First was a split CV boot on the right hand (wheel) side, after only 6000 miles. Luckily it looks like I caught it early.

Second was when I removed the driveshaft from the transmission side the grease in the CV joint and boot appears to have turned into oil, which leaked out onto the floor. I haven't used the bus for nearly two weeks so everything was cold. Could it be oil leaking from the tranny into the CV joint?
It's hasn't leaked any more oil from the gear box.

Anyone else seen this happen? :? :?

thanks for the suggestion BSM.

I have replaced the split CV boot and re-packed the joints with CV grease. The plastic end cap on the gear box looked ok although I had to push it firmly to put it back in place, so maybe some oil has been leaking into the CV joint. Like this one:

Have to say it's the first time I was even aware of these end caps. If the CV boot hadn't split on the other end I would never have realised the grease in the gear box side had turned to oil.

When I checked the gear box oil level by squirting a bit more in, I managed to get about 300ml before it started to come out the filler hole. It's not leaking any out normally. So its all bolted up for now and I'll have to check it again in the near future, as I imagine the thinned grease won't work as well as it should usually and the CV joint may wear prematurely.

Latest posts