Headlamp question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
I have Hella H4U 12v 60/55W P43t bulbs fitted to my bus headlamps. The bulbs have a matt black coating on the end of the glass.
Has anyone removed the 3 legged reflector plate from the inside of their headlamps when using these type of bulbs?
Thanks.

Funnily enough, I’ve just been having a fiddle with mine. I didn’t do anything like you guys are talking about even though I’m still toying with the idea, what I did that made a huge difference, is to take off the lenses and let them soak in fairy liquid for a couple of hours then scrubbed them up. It seems to have got rid of the yellowyness <<< nice new word innit :mrgreen: I’ve just fitted two new lense guards to mine, just because Brett gave them to me umpteen years ago and I thought that would go with my latest tough looking off road style that I’m working on now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That’s a little teaser as to what it looks like now (the only photo) and as you can see I’ve been debating about fitting those old Wipac spot lights as they were brand new and still in the box, so on they go, so that’s the first one. Spose I’d best wire them up tooooo :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,but it’s ME and lecky tricks, non compatible really. :mrgreen:

Haha Ozzie, I've got a nice spotlight on the front too, which isn't wired up. Previous owner put it on for looks (it does look nice), but didn't want to drill a hole in the NOS dash for the switch (can't blame him really). I'm gonna have to do it though, cos the headlights are not that great if/when you need them...

To be honest I never really run the van in the dark but I worked on the premise that the 3 leg shades were designed for the old fashioned bulbs. The new bulbs as you state have black tips which I assume remove the need for the bulbs.

gagvanman said:
I like the leopard print bumper Ozziedog...

Hi G Man,
The original idea of the painted up leopard print is a highly classified top secret issue, so see if you can guess why ??? But it’s been that way for a few years now and it’s a bit well known and now I’m thinking about re doing it again :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,no grassing if you already know ! :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
so see if you can guess why ???
The bus was going to be used for touring the monkey enclosures at the Safari Park and you were hoping the leopard print would keep the critters from trying to steal your wing mirrors, aerial, and hub caps?

My initial guess would be to cover a bad paint job or damage. Although I prefer the fact that you are still a 70s glam rockfan or a Rocky Horror super fan.

Ha ha, I’ve been and forgotten all about this, I am such a plonker sometimes ( mostly ) . The nearside step and the rear bumper were the catalyst for this little effort. A lot of the black spots in the leopard print / paint job are actually rusted out holes in the step and back bumper and this sorta disguised and camouflaged them. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,what’ll I do next time ? :mrgreen:

Well that shows a creative mind. Most 'normal' people would have filled the holes or bought a new bumper :)

Coda said:
Well that shows a creative mind. Most 'normal' people would have filled the holes or bought a new bumper :)

Yeah, I’m not big on normal :mrgreen:
Back when I did this, there weren’t too many nearside steps available and mine is rather gash on the bottom with a few holes but gash also where the side step joins the body under the door and praps a little beyond a decent repair without mostly fabbing up most of it with all sorts of wicked bends. I’ve since got one but stayed with the Bet Lynch look for a while longer, and maybe the high rise look could keep the the leopard style and maybe just fit the step and tidy up the leopards themselves . Decent back bumpers are still a bit thin on the ground.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,.,,I’m sorta used to the look now too,,,hhhmmmmm? :mrgreen:

Latest posts