Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uladk84

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I could do with some help identifying a solid yellow wire in the engine bay of my 72 crossover (UK).

The yellow wire exits the rear harness, with a thicker ground wire near the right D-pillar. The PO had wired these two together into one ground spade, but I'm not confident it is correct. The spade is connected to the female spade welded onto the D-pillar.

I've checked the wiring diagrams for both a 71 and 72 and can't see a yellow wire used for anything in the engine bay area. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with testing either.

When bought:

After some work:

Any ideas?
Cheers

There was no evidence of one. This yellow wire comes out of the loom just as neatly as the ground wire so I don't think a PO added this extra wire.

Cheers

I have a friend who has the same year bus so I took a peek in the engine bay, and he had the exact same setup: a brown combined with a yellow wire that was grounded at the bottom of the D-pillar. His van has not been touched either with everything still original, including the yellow/red test wire from the battery.

His van is a Dormobile conversion like mine, so it's possible it was added by them I suppose. No idea where the yellow wire originates though without opening up the loom.

Cheers all

Thinking about this. It is starting to sound like a Dormy thing. I’d try disconnecting it and see if anything has stopped working. Then either put a meter or just a bulb or a buzzer between the wire and the ground point to see if it’s drawing any power. Again try turning things on and off to see what might be affected. If you use a buzzer, test the buzzer first, because it’s a bar steward when it makes you jump and your head is half an inch away from the moustache bar :shock: . Also wondered if it’s an ignition feed / earth for start up in the rear when piddling about in the noisey cupboard :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I don’t seem to have one like that. :mrgreen:

Latest posts