Do you need to modify the stick master cylinder for willwood disc brakes ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I was contemplating changing my new front csp drum set up on my 69 to a Willwood/disc brake kit I’d seen advertised on Fb.
My friend was pretty sure that if running with a stock drum master cylinder you will need to modify it as it has a check valve which will stop the pistons on a caliper brake relaxing back leading to constant brake pad rub .
Has anyone had this issue and if so did they do what I mentioned?

sparkywig said:
You remove the residual pressure valve from the master cylinder brake pipe outlet.

So can I use my current master cylinder and still get a pretty good improvement over my new csp drum setup ?
Is it easy to remove the pressure valve with out removing the master cylinder completely?

Is that the kit from David Slack? If so it’s awesome! Vastly better than csps and a big rival for the fellows kit but without the ridiculous price tag. As sparky says just remove the pressure valves then you should be good to go

K@rlos said:

Thanks bud ,yes it was David’s kit I was thinking of but was worried about it working correctly with the stock master cylinder. Is it possible to remove the pressure valves with the master cylinder in situ

fozworth said:
K@rlos said:

Thanks bud ,yes it was David’s kit I was thinking of but was worried about it working correctly with the stock master cylinder. Is it possible to remove the pressure valves with the master cylinder in situ

Should be able to mate

Does anyone have any pics/ videos of removing these pressure check valves?

Boogles said:
Does anyone have any pics/ videos of removing these pressure check valves?

No but easy to do, disconnect the front brake pipes from master cylinder, wind the valves out, pull the guts out of them then put it all back together and bleed the brakes.

theminitrip said:
Does David sell these kits officially or is it just a case of dropping him a message? Looks a lovely bit of kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your on Facebook search him there or pm me and I’ll give you his number :D

K@rlos said:
theminitrip said:
Does David sell these kits officially or is it just a case of dropping him a message? Looks a lovely bit of kit

If your on Facebook search him there or pm me and I’ll give you his number :D
Found him, thanks!

How are you all getting on with these kits? I have the Fellows kit bookmarked for when I get to the reassembly stage, if I can afford it. The pics above look good though, so I'd be very interested to hear first hand reports of how these other kits run. I've not managed to find anything on factbook but only done a quick search so far. Seems to be quite a few David Slack's out there!

Latest posts