Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
graysummers said:
Looking good for this year for you to get out there. Bet that small excursion of driving felt amazing. Soon be out and about and talking to your Bus like it’s listening and understanding. Bet you’ll find yourself patting the shelf above your dashboard and smiling. I’ve retired now (last July), so a bit more time to get out there myself. Having a few problems with this pesky new grade E10 petrol though. Keep an eye on that one Andy. All the best. 👍
Thanks and hope you enjoy your retirement :D

Spent a few more hours today - 3 steps forward one step back!

First task was to fit the new horn and guess what, pressing the horn button in the middle of the steering wheel :)

20220122_131401.jpg

20220122_131348.jpg

20220122_131337.jpg

Moved on to replacing the wiper blades (an easy task ;) )

20220122_131533.jpg

Fitted the pedal pan using stainless steel screws.

20220122_154730.jpg

20220122_154713.jpg

Dropped the van on the floor - is the rear too low or the front too high bearing in mind that it’s not moved yet so I suppose the suspension has to settle!

20220122_161000.jpg

The bit that didn’t work was the washers - looks like the washer motor spins but not moving the impellers so not moving the water - will need to get another one :(

gvee said:
You have a washer motor?! Fancy pants.

Lovely to see you making progress again.

Happy New year
Thanks George, hope you are well! - it came with the motor when I bought it so not surprised it is now broke.
Will need to source another one so will have a nosey around evilbay etc.

The stance looks about right for stock suspension, it should level out when you get into the cab seats.
I bought one of these washer kits for the deluxe bus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353082270723?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks Si.
I bought a replacement motor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWY5G6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Exactly the same as what was in and ordered yesterday and arrived today so fitted it in and changed the pluming as the OP had fitted a separate switch so doesn't use the original switch so decided to take both the pipes from the switch and have the pipe from the pump go straight to the washers and it works a treat :)

After sorting that out I decided to see if the bus can move under its own steam and it does :) :) :) :)
On the drive, just went forward and back but discovered that the handbrake needs adjusting more as it wouldn't hold the it (drive is on a slight incline).
Still need to tighten the nuts for the rear axles then I will look to take it around the block (after taking it off SORN first, the first time in over 16 years......)

Last weekend I tackled the rear brakes so the handbrake would engage properly - wound out the star adjusters (after slackening off the handbrake cable) until I couldn't move the rear wheels then wound the stars back slightly.
Around 7 clicks of the handbrake and the rear wheels are rock solid :)

Checked all the lights again and all still working so might take it off of SORN this week and at the weekend take it around the block :whistle:

Oh, and on Saturday after the strong winds I woke up to find the van like this:

20220129_092024.jpg

It had ripped in half (has been on the van for many years and the cat mooches around the van roof creating little tears.
I have ordered a new one (Maypole?) and will put it on this weekend having washed the roof. Need to declaw the cat!!

05-02-2022

More steps forward and back :)

Got the rear bumper back on - will look to put the splash/leaf guards on later.

20220205_152817.jpg

20220205_152804.jpg

Got it out of the drive on the road (that is why it has moved to a higher position on the drive) and took it round the block. Steering, brakes, gears, lights, indicators all work which is good.
Noticed a sound of rubbing and sped up as the speed of the vehicle also sped up - sounds like it could be the brakes but not sure if front or back so will have a check once the weather eases.

Bad bits :(
The window winder on the drivers side no longer does its job - suspect the mechanism has split in the door which is what the passenger side did - need to replace the doors sooner rather than later now!

Mentioned the rubbing.

Speedo did not show any speed but when I parked up I noticed that the cable was no longer poking out of the grease cover on the wheel - need a new circlip I think.

The paint on the poptop around the area of the caps that hinge up has curled up so will need addressing at some stage.

Not a bad day so fairly happy :)

An hour on the bus just doing little bits :)
Fitted the drivers seat belt - need to do the passenger one but can’t locate the L shape bracket :(

20220209_194436.jpg

Also fitted a glove box liner then dug out the old kick panels just to see how they look - need a wash but another step in the right direction.

20220209_193618.jpg

20220209_194506.jpg

Replaced the dipstick with one of those temperature sensor ones as a bit of a piece of mind

Having nipped up the wheel nuts, put the circlip on the end of the speedo cable I too out again this morning.

Still getting the noise from the rear - I think its the brake shoes so I will back them off a bit more.
Going to jack it up first to see spin the wheels to be sure.

Getting the gears is still shit even after fitting all bushes etc - never mind.
Was nice to the 20 MPH on the speedo as I drove around the estate (20MPH max!!)
Oh and need to make that L-shaped bracket to allow the passenger seatbelt to be fitted!

Having nipped up the wheel nuts, put the circlip on the end of the speedo cable I too out again this morning.

Still getting the noise from the rear - I think its the brake shoes so I will back them off a bit more.
Going to jack it up first to see spin the wheels to be sure.

Getting the gears is still shit even after fitting all bushes etc - never mind.
Was nice to the 20 MPH on the speedo as I drove around the estate (20MPH max!!)
Oh and need to make that L-shaped bracket to allow the passenger seatbelt to be fitted!
I might have a spare L shape bracket, but can’t check until the end of the month.
I changed gear stick to a Bug Tech shifter which made a huge improvement
https://www.hayburner.co.uk/collections/bug-tech-shifters/products/bugtech-bus-shifter

Made up a seat belt bracket while it was raining this afternoon.

20220212_141100.jpg

Painted and installed this evening once the rain had stopped:

20220212_173702.jpg

20220212_173639.jpg

Depending on the weather tomorrow I will see if I can get it back in the air to check what is making the rubbing noise.

That noisy rear end - jacked up the van and had a good look around.
Decided to take the drive shaft off to make sure it is not that - good news it isn’t as the same noise happens whether it is attached or not!
Took the drum off and when I spin the stub axle, silence (should hope so as all new bearings etc).
A few pics of the inside of the drum and the brake shoes - I think the drum is to blame:

20220222_110130.jpg

20220222_110116.jpg

20220222_110109.jpg

20220222_110054.jpg

20220222_110049.jpg

Not pretty :)

Also, made a video of me just turning the offending brake drum and then with the engine running and wheel being turned around by the engine:

Rotating the drum by hand:

Engine spinning the wheel:

I think I have another drum somewhere so I will dig it out and check the condition of that (JK wants £50 for one…….)

Cheers

Forgive my ignorance here, but that sounds (and looks!) like the drums and pads are in contact, so shouldn't you adjust the brakes before replacing the drum? 🤔

Is it on both sides, or just one?

I have a vague recollection of something like this on my bus and it was because I'd installed the mechanism upside down. Might be worth a check on the other side for comparison.

Latest posts