Single cab truck Part 2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks buddy, yeah its seen a lot of use! We've had all sorts of things in the back, its got to be one of the most useful things I own! Aside from being able to move us from A to B... we can also move large objects too :) plus I was well chuffed to find that my 9'4" longboard fits in the back lying flat. No need for a rack on top of the canvas!

One day we'd like to switch to a crew cab, so that situation will have to be addressed then..

Update on engine install; pics of how the oil lines now clear the engine mount bar:

DSC04801s.jpg

DSC04802s.jpg

DSC04805s.jpg

Been a while since I updated this. We've had the engine running for a while, but decided to relocate the oil cooler and filter underneath the truck, mainly to get the heat generated out of the engine bay. Seems to be better, but because of the truck being lowered, a hole has developed in the exhaust and is probably causing the rough running, so need to sort that. Ordered a mondo phat boy muffler (Bugpack) but turns out it doesn't fit an early bay, as it fouls on the engine mount bar. Bloody things! So had to send that back. The plan now is to get the silencer custom made so it can tuck up out of the way, and stop it catching on everything!

Also took the time while off the road and up on axle stands to replace some of the gearshift couplings. While replacing one, the small fuel hose that comes out of the tank split, so we ended up having to drain the tank. Wanted to get it out anyway, so good opportunity. Oh, and there are a couple of small holes in it! Luckily I've managed to source a good replacement, thanks to sharman.

Pic for those who've never seen the inside of a single cab locker area:

DSC05130s.jpg

While it was out, we noticed a section of the floor had a few too many holes, and decided to plate over it. Its funny how a small job escalates into a much bigger one. The plated section:

DSC05127s.jpg

The cardboard stuffed into the hole is to mask that hole for spraying. Normally the tank sits there (with a seal around) to allow the fuel line to come out. And yes, after wire brushing down what I could get to, and brushing out a whole lot of dust and south african desert sand, I set up for spraying:

DSC05126s.jpg

Covering up any areas that led to the 'outside'. All this takes a lot of time, since you have to do it lying down in a small space. Results of first round of spraying:

DSC05131s.jpg

Colour is a dark green, as 1L tins of hammerite are half price in Halfords at the moment and this is what they had left.

And that's it for now. Hopefully back on the road soon! Bloody VWs..

Been a long time. Had some good times with this truck but now it’s time to let it go. Anyone have an idea of what it could be worth these days?

Love a single cab. I was looking for one a while back for a shop truck, but they’ve become rather expensive.

Rich said:
Hi Leon, I didn't get a notification of your reply. Can you give me a ballpark on the price?

Hey Rich,
Might be an idea to give Clem a P.M. as that’s more his thing about prices and condition etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,but it does look good. :mrgreen:

Latest posts