1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike202 said:
Looking forward to seeing the re- build [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Should be a stout motor off the bottle, Plan is to start with a 50 shot of nitrous and work up to 100. The goal is to get into the 13’s at the track. Also brought a set of M&H drag radials to get the power down.

I’m fed up lifters not lasting 10000 miles :roll: Don’t actually know what state mine are in but it’s safe to assume they’ll need changing :roll: So while we’ve got the motor apart it’s getting a fresh Engle FK10 camshaft and a set of Thorsen Pieper tool steel lifters as well as all new bearings through out for good measure.

Not cheap but they are regarded as the best lifter out there and also the lightest at 52g each so that means more rpm and more power :mrgreen:

Me & Hector stripped my motor Wednesday afternoon, apart from the lifters being a bit pitted it’s as good as the day it went together :mrgreen: but we’ll fit all new bearings anyway.

Had a some bits arrive today too, 2 quart Gene Berg sump which will be replacing the CB wide glide.

New gasket kit arrived too but that’s boring so didn’t bother with a pic lol

ozziedog said:
K@rlos said:

More bits for the standalone nitrous fuel system

I’m getting excited for you, I can’t wait :p :p :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,hurry up and get it fitted , :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

We need to get the motor back together first lol.

Cooling upgrades to help keep the bigger cylinders cool…

Fan shroud velocity ring for a late model fuel injection beetle from aircooled.net in the US. A mate of mine in west London fitted 1 to the shroud on the 4” motor in his beetle street/strip car and he said it brought oil and head temps down 15f when cruising so it’s a worth while addition in my opinion.

Did the maths for the 2276 last night..

94mm bore x 82mm stroke
0.045 thou deck height
57cc chambers in the heads

Comes out at a compression ratio of 9.8:1 which perfect for the Engle FK10 cam :D Should be an easy 200hp N/A motor and with a 50 hp shot of gas on top of that should result in a respectable 1/4 mile times for a fully fitted camper and a lot of fun. :mrgreen:

More upgrades, this time pushrods. I’ve run chromoly push rods for years in my motor and although they are strong the clack clack clack noise once hot has always frustrated me. So I’ve ordered a set of Aircooled.nets heavy duty, dual taper aluminium push rods which are suitable for Chevy valve springs and have been tested at 9500rpm so more than up to the job of my ‘tame’ 2276. Another bonus is that at 55g each they are under half the weight of my current Manton chromoly set so that means a snappier revving engine and more stable valve train at high rpm.

Well after much discussion me n hector have decided to build another engine (kind of) :|

Will still be using my heads, crank, rods, carbs, exhaust and ignition system but will be built using a brand new aluminium CB performance ‘super race case’ the new 94mm pistons & barrels, cam, lifters and push rods. The race case will just be a stronger foundation for an engine having nitrous going through it.

Watch this space…

K@rlos said:
Well after much discussion me n hector have decided to build another engine (kind of) :|

Will still be using my heads, crank, rods, carbs, exhaust and ignition system but will be built using a brand new aluminium CB performance ‘super race case’ the new 94mm pistons & barrels, cam, lifters and push rods. The race case will just be a stronger foundation for an engine having nitrous going through it. :mrgreen:

Watch this space…

Sounds ggggrrrrreight. You ain’t messin about with this one are you :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,ready for next season ??? :mrgreen:

Do it once, do it right.

Yeah got nearly all the bits so should be built and running by end of March hopefully.

Decided against using my old AS41 mag case for the 2276 build, So treated myself to a cb performance aluminium super race case. Heavier yes but a lot more suitable for the nitrous build.

Work is dead due to Xmas and new year so I took the opportunity to have a tinker with some bus bits.

Fan housing velocity ring welded onto the back of the shroud. Just waiting for my bearings from ACL and new Gene Berg oil pump to arrive, both from the states the then we can crack on with getting the motor together.

Had a nice delivery from CSP today

Weber IDA hex-bar throttle linkage

Cut to length extended oil pick up. Much better solution than the weld pieces.

And from Serek motorsport, a fuel pressure safety switch for the nitrous oxide set up. If the fuel pressure drops for what ever reason on the stand-alone fuel system it will cut the nitrous injection to prevent the engine getting torched.

Are you going to put a spring in the bell crank carb linkage?

You may remember I had to add one after I discovered the carb springs needed some
help. They are small carbs though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts