Cooling Fan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a single port engine fan and a dual port engine fan?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I originally had a single port engine, but when I changed to a twin port I can't remember if I used the fan from the single or not. Guess its time to stick my fingers in the back of the tin ware. Might explain why my engine is running a bit too hot...

gagvanman said:
Thanks. I originally had a single port engine, but when I changed to a twin port I can't remember if I used the fan from the single or not. Guess its time to stick my fingers in the back of the tin ware. Might explain why my engine is running a bit too hot...

Yes that will be causing your issues

Anyone using one of these or know anything about them?
https://www.andrigsaircooledtechnology.com/

gagvanman said:
Anyone using one of these or know anything about them?
https://www.andrigsaircooledtechnology.com/

A newish product but they have a problem of ripping the centre out, A normal twinport fan is all you need, more than up to the job. If you want to improve on the standard cooling get a velocity ring from a Mexican EFI beetle which goes on the back of the fan shroud.

Had a feel round the back of the dog house yesterday. Definitely more than 2-3 mm gap, so I suppose I did use the single port fan on the new engine.
Will be ordering a twin port fan and engine out soon.

I know I don't need to take the engine out to change the fan. but I have a noisy clutch release bearing so going to change the whole clutch assembly (false economy not to) at the same time. All parts ordered from VW Heritage taking advantage of the "Black Friday" discount...

With the overheating issue I had with our bus, I thought I might have installed the smaller single port cooling fan in my new engine.
Took out the engine to replace the fan (already bought). Turns out I have the larger correct one.
Anyway, whilst reinstalling the cooling shroud managed to snap the curved connector for the thermostat linkage. Managed to weld it, but it snapped again, I guess because the weld put a weak spot in the spring steel. Made a replacement using 2mm mild steel, just hoping it works.

Latest posts