E10

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew it was coming but noticed today Tesco unleaded is now E10. Their Momentum is still E5. I noticed this when filling up. Having read a little about this it seems it’s ok in the short term I think I will switch to super unleaded or check the price of additives. I’m going to change the fuel lines this winter but I’m wondering what effect E10 will have on the carb.

I think its mainly the fuel lines, but I'd be interested to know if there's anything in the carb that can perish.

I stand under correction but, someone said that the signs are up but it's still E5 until September.

There is a rubber diaphragm inside the standard carb's, so would imagine they would need checking.
Have to go for the more expensive stuff now. :x

J & P
:D :D :D

Or you can faff about with removing the alcohol from the fuel by mixing it with water and siphoning it off.
Yes it works, but its a faff.

gas1man said:
I stand under correction but, someone said that the signs are up but it's still E5 until September.

There is a rubber diaphragm inside the standard carb's, so would imagine they would need checking.
Have to go for the more expensive stuff now. :x

J & P

I’m alright, my 48 IDA’s have plungers not diaphragms :mrgreen: :lol:

Whilst we are all on the subject, does anybody have a preferred list of additives they recommend?
Something like the top 5 or more???? Then able to do a comparison against the Super fuel??
Would it be worth it?

Millers
Lucas
Liqui Moly etc.

J & P

I might actually get a clean 55 gal drum and a pump, and get the water out manually. Shouldn’t be too much trouble with large qtys. Thing is, one has paid for the alcohol as part of the fuel price so I don’t think it’s going to be cost effective over just buying super unleaded. If there was some use for the waste water/alcohol mix (no you cannot drink it Ozziedog) then it may be still worth it.

Coda said:
I might actually get a clean 55 gal drum and a pump, and get the water out manually. Shouldn’t be too much trouble with large qtys. Thing is, one has paid for the alcohol as part of the fuel price so I don’t think it’s going to be cost effective over just buying super unleaded. If there was some use for the waste water/alcohol mix (no you cannot drink it Ozziedog) then it may be still worth it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, I could try :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Its the fact it can corroded alloy thats worrying . Good thing the Vauxhall engine in my hot rod is E10 "proof"

It's the alloy corrosion that's a bit worrying but only if you let the vehicle stand a long while, or so I believe. If you have a veteran motorcycle it can also destroy cork gaskets. Not sure what's inside my twin Webbers but they are new. Watch the sales of solid fuel lines come back, maybe

So,,,if you just use regular unleaded it soon will be E10, so if you use that most of the time and either pop some posh fuel in just if you’re going to lay up the van or maybe the additives just before a lay up. Plus new pipes too. I’m guessing while in fairly regular use, the fuel won’t separate or perhaps a little less :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like a bit of a plan :mrgreen:

Filled up at Asda the other day and it said E10 on the pump and probably 95 RON. The alternative is the Esso 99 stuff that has no E at all..... But this is 99 RON would this mean I need to do something with my timing?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

I’m probably going to redo my fuel lines to metal as much as possible this winter but whatever else, the last fill of the year will be with E5 super unleaded and see what happens, or not.

Clem said:
I’m probably going to redo my fuel lines to metal as much as possible this winter but whatever else, the last fill of the year will be with E5 super unleaded and see what happens, or not.
ozziedog said:
So,,,if you just use regular unleaded it soon will be E10, so if you use that most of the time and either pop some posh fuel in just if you’re going to lay up the van or maybe the additives just before a lay up. Plus new pipes too. I’m guessing while in fairly regular use, the fuel won’t separate or perhaps a little less :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like a bit of a plan :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,that’s exactly my plan too :mrgreen:

Latest posts