Gearstick?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any reason why, or is it just a change?
Before you spend loads of money on an aftermarket gear shifter, replace all the shift bushes and rear coupler, otherwise you'll still have sloppy shifting.

Sparky is right, unless you have good bushes and coupler you will still get the "umbrella in a bucket of porridge" feel even if you have the best shifter on the market. Unfortunately you do have to pull the engine and lower the gearbox down to pull the rear shift rod out to access the "shuttlecock" type bushes- but it's well worth it. I have a Gene Berg shifter on my 71 now and would certainly recommend it. It's not cheap but it works super well and adjustment is easy if you follow their instructions. I would steer clear of the Empi one as it's what I had before and makes it difficult to select first gear with the handbrake fully pulled out.

dubselector said:
Unfortunately you do have to pull the engine and lower the gearbox down to pull the rear shift rod out to access the "shuttlecock" type bushes- but it's well worth it.

The shuttlecock bush is split so it’s fittable in situ.

Good bushes and coupler, and an £8 quick shift kit make a decent set up :)

dubselector said:
I have belly pans so had to pull rod from rear as no access to middle underfloor.

Isn’t the centre section ’bolt on’ ?

Clem said:
dubselector said:
Unfortunately you do have to pull the engine and lower the gearbox down to pull the rear shift rod out to access the "shuttlecock" type bushes- but it's well worth it.

The shuttlecock bush is split so it’s fittable in situ.

Good bushes and coupler, and an £8 quick shift kit make a decent set up :)
Agreed, with a gear stick extension using some red loctite and some black paint

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Clem said:
Isn’t the centre section ’bolt on’ ?
Is it? I thought they were welded... mine is welded at least on the sides, I didn't realise there might be bolts for the centre piece. Will take a look when I can get underneath it. This would make so many things so much easier 🤞

My centre sections definitely welded too. M Plate checker says the pans were factory fit but I bet one of the previous "careful" owners sheared the bolts off and tacked it back on. There's been more names on the v5 than members of So Solid Crew !

This could end up being a ‘What Oil ?’ Type thread. I’ve never had belly pans but I’ve heard loads of times of people dropping the middle pan to get at things. Maybe it’s different with different years like the removable rear valance etc, maybe it’s from or for different places / markets. Or perhaps it’s a mod that was an option or even a dealer mod back in the day when they had to do repairs. Either way, if I had pans I reckon that could go on my list of things to do and would probably get done when something like the above needed sorting. If I was doing the mod, I’d use those hugeish plastic self tappers that look like a wood screw with a bolt head on too, like the ones for installing those trucker mirrors, then there’ll be no metal to metal interference. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,I’d use em in loads of places :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,. You might want to use these everywhere instead of those plastic things

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

You can get some nice rubber ones too (good for holding the fixed part of a westy roof in place)

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I suspect the welded pans exist mainly due to vehicles being bought direct by the camper conversion companies, and that bolted pans were what you’d get as an regular use vehicle (bus, combi, etc) if you ordered pans.

dubselector said:
Wow, the sh1t's hit the pan ! Nothing like a good worm-can opening exercise to wake every one up :) Off now to kick a Hornet's nest

:lol: :lol: :lol: I nearly got sucked in..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P

Side belly pans are welded on.

Centre pan is bolted in place from factory.

Latest posts