eBay / shipping advice needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heebee_GB

Reaction score
Hello peeps hope your all well.

I was outbid on a car lift on eBay but the seller came back to me and said the winner had backed out and did I want it for my bid. Great!.....but I now don’t have a winning auction bid via eBay and he won’t take PayPal as he ‘doesn’t use it’. Hmmmmmm.
He’s sent me his bank details or has said cash on collection. There no way I’m going to wire him the money so does anyone have any other ideas? It’s right up in the north east of Scotland so hiring a van and driving is a pig for me. Really want this lift as it’s mega compact and fits my odd shaped garage.

Ta la’s

Gaz

I seem to remember someone saying if you use a credit card , you then have recourse.
If they won't accept , walk away.

J & P
:D :D :D

What Sparky said. If the winning bidder doesn't pay the seller has a mechanism to offer the item to the next bidder, or relist the item.
I'm not saying this is a fraud, but this situation is the one most common frauds on ebay. At the very least the seller is trying to evade the ebay tax, at the worst they are trying to take your money and run. I suspect it's just the former. My advice, ask the seller for an invoice and see what happens.

Oh, and the 'use the credit card, you are protected' advice is only good to a point. You are only protected if the bank that issued the card provides the mechanism to you without so much complication that you can make the chargeback in the first place. I had reason to start a chargeback with Lloyds earlier this year. They wouldn't deal with it online, and their online page listed so much paperwork required and cooling off time (the three months I'd been waiting for my product wasn't enough???). They made me wait on hold for ever for someone who never answered the phone.
TL;DR they were absolutely no help whatsoever. Luckily I managed to get my money back from the vendor after approx 6 months, without the bank's help. Can't trust 'em at all.

All of the above is spot on advice. If the seller is struggling to work out how to create a manual invoice, they could always re-list the item with a buy it now button at your price. If they aren’t willing to do this, walk away!

go get it , hes given you several ways to pay, how were you going to get it if you had been the winning bidder originally ?

I presume cash on collection was not the only option, and that shipping was another.

davidoft said:
go get it , hes given you several ways to pay, how were you going to get it if you had been the winning bidder originally ?

Cash on collection if picked up or £72 for shipping only once you’ve paid in full via bank transfer. (This thing is 720 kilos and he gave me that quote to my postcode instantly)

Thanks for all your advice. There are other little things that make me suspicious as well. Oh well, ultimatum time. Re list and I’ll buy it now via PayPal or leave it. I can hear my arl fella whispering in my ear ‘if it looks like a turd and smells like it’s a turd....then it’s a turd lad’.

Thanks again everyone.

Incidentally, what kind of lift is it you are after? I'm still trying to get people to build me a garage (it's like herding cats), and I've been looking a lot at lifts recently, two post, four post, even single post portable lifts. Still haven't decided.

Coda said:
Incidentally, what kind of lift is it you are after? I'm still trying to get people to build me a garage (it's like herding cats), and I've been looking a lot at lifts recently, two post, four post, even single post portable lifts. Still haven't decided.

Single post portable as my garage is a wedge shape.

It’s took me 3 years to complete mine with work travel and getting quod quality tradesmen. My uncle down the road wants one doing and I can’t get anyone to even quote for it for him.

Heebee_GB said:
It’s took me 3 years to complete mine with work travel and getting quod quality tradesmen. My uncle down the road wants one doing and I can’t get anyone to even quote for it for him.

I've trying for a couple of years to get quotes for a driveway extension and new windows and doors.
Only one guy turned up to look at the drive early last year and he hasn't been in contact since, and window fitters are a waste of time.

sparkywig said:
Heebee_GB said:

I've trying for a couple of years to get quotes for a driveway extension and new windows and doors.
Only one guy turned up to look at the drive early last year and he hasn't been in contact since, and window fitters are a waste of time.

It’s a joke Si, and we’re both in the industry! Hope you’re well mate.

sparkywig said:
I'm good thanks mate, better now I'm away from BCEGI and the Royal Mint. :lol:

Hahaha. I’ve not been down yet. All that money and they’re doing it on the cheap!

Coda said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Busch-1-post-lift-2-5-tonnes-Portable-Ultra-TW-125-M-/302714779378?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Like this coda. The one the guy had wanted £1200 :cry:

If the seller doesn't do’ PayPal he should be fine as it’s all done direct now without going via PayPal.
I had a buyer cancel on me today, and I just sold it to the second bidder with no hassle.
If he won’t play the game on a substantial purchase from afar then walk away is my advice.

Heebee_GB said:
Coda said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Busch-1-post-lift-2-5-tonnes-Portable-Ultra-TW-125-M-/302714779378?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Like this coda. The one the guy had wanted £1200 :cry:
I'm very suspicious of a TB single post lift for £1200.... even the Chinese knock-offs are more than that. I wouldn't cry about it, you probably saved yourself a nasty accident, and at the very least if you pay the three grand for a TB, you know you can stand/sit/lie under it with confidence.

Hey Gaz, I think you know bettererer than this and that’s why you’ve posted on here. If it’s in the middle of nowhere, then there’s every chance that you won’t be able to find it and have to ring him then meet up somewhere. There’s a slight probability that you may end up with a bang on the head :shock: for just over a grand in cash plus your hire van etc etc etc, just a tenner will do it down my way :roll: Walk away bud, buy a new one and moan at us for getting you to spend more money, I can take it :mrgreen: Hope you’re all good up there, and when are we likely to bump into you next ??? :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I’m Going up in the world too :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Heebee_GB said:
davidoft said:

Cash on collection if picked up or £72 for shipping only once you’ve paid in full via bank transfer. (This thing is 720 kilos and he gave me that quote to my postcode instantly)

Thanks for all your advice. There are other little things that make me suspicious as well. Oh well, ultimatum time. Re list and I’ll buy it now via PayPal or leave it. I can hear my arl fella whispering in my ear ‘if it looks like a turd and smells like it’s a turd....then it’s a turd lad’.

Thanks again everyone.

postcode wont make much odds on price at that weight, it, if you paid less than a grand its worth collecting

Think ebay have stopped using Paypal, i have just had email from them(ebay) i had to register my bank card with them, they now transfer the money directly from my account if i am buying, and credit my account when i sell an item and take out the ebay fees in the process.
So no more Paypal with ebay

My advice on your problem is WALK AWAY there are lots of scams on ebay and this sounds like one

Latest posts