Oil in gearbox bell housing from oil cooler seal leak??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWanderer

Reaction score
I have recently removed the engine from my 1972 Type 2 Bay to replace the oil cooler seals as one was split and caused an oil leak.
I have now noticed oil in the gearbox bell housing and am wondering if this could be from the oil cooler seal leak or if have an additional problem.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Really Heath Robinson approach just to get near where it’s coming from here is to sniff the oil. If it smells like regular oil it’s probably coming from the engine some where, if it smells petrolly then there’s a few routes to explore because if it’s thinned it can squeeze out in loads of places, and last one is if it’s extra pungent and proper smelly it is probably gearbox oil.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, maybe do it when no one’s looking,,,looks a bit weird. :)

Ive had both recently, the RMS leak didn't effect the clutch whereas when the pilot bush wore it caused the input shaft to move at the gearbox seal end which threw gearbox oil over the clutch which in turn slipped. Both leaks appeared at the same point on the joint. My money is on the RMS

Latest posts