Help on crossover wires in engine bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some help from a crossover owner that can check out a few connections in the engine bay. I've got the picture below but cleverly left the notes I made with the bus today. I have some wires that I think are all brown with different stripes that I don't have labeled.
They come out of the main loom connection before the rear light connection, I assume they are earths but it means I have more earths than I have earth tabs available on that side of the engine bay.
20141127_190804_zpsk4auexsy.jpg

I have what I think is a UK wiring diagram but it still not clear to me. Can someone take a look at what is connected to the earth tabs that are on the right side of the pic?

Thanks
Mags

Those wires would have been for a now obsolete diagnostic plug, I have the same on mine and they are just taped up.

Sorry to hijack thread, but where does your battery earth connect to van? My crossover had it earthed to block and now engine is out I want to sort it.

I also have some loose wires, but all seems to work, so perhaps the same?

Cheers,
Dave

Mines earthed to the engine but most I've seen are earthed to the bodywork to the left of the battery.

I am wondering about the original earth point on crossovers as no triangular bit by valance like an early and not up by paint lid like a late by looking at Mags photo. Seems the cable goes to floor or upright near rear valance on that pic?

BigG said:
Those wires would have been for a now obsolete diagnostic plug, I have the same on mine and they are just taped up.

OK, I've still got the plug, I can try and trace these out I guess.
Cheers.

davechorlton said:
Sorry to hijack thread, but where does your battery earth connect to van? My crossover had it earthed to block and now engine is out I want to sort it.

I also have some loose wires, but all seems to work, so perhaps the same?

Cheers,
Dave

Before I replaced the battery tray it was a bolt going through the tray towards the back of the bus. I've just done the same, drilled through the tray as its pretty thick metal.
There is also a separate earth strap for the engine/gbox that connects the gbox case to the offside rear suspension arm mount.

Thanks. I might give that a go then as ts easy to get to both top and bottom. I have the other Earth strap, so engone and box should be fine.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Mags, I hope all is still going well. I removed the plug from mine a few years ago, just split the outer sheath from the wires, and follow them back to which ever circuit they come from. From memory I think all but 2 can be completely removed and the others a simple re-route or re-connect. Like most things it's simple once you start work, the thinking about it is harder!

Regards, Si.

Latest posts