My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
For those of you not on Volkszone, thought I would post my new project up on here and get to know you all a bit better.

it's a cheap bay project bought on ebay for just under a grand.

After a 9 hour drive / pickup last night ending after 3 this friday morning.

This is what just under a grand buys you in bay window land these days.

The journey back (thanks Percydub):

Journey2.jpg

The good:

CIMG5289.jpg

CIMG5297.jpg

CIMG5299.jpg

4" narrowed axle beam with creative adjusters - oh yeah :D - he'll go nice n low on it.

The bad:

CIMG5298.jpg

CIMG5292.jpg

CIMG5293.jpg

CIMG5288.jpg

Just a bit rusty, but nothing a tickle with a welder can't sort out.

The ugly:

CIMG5290.jpg

CIMG5294.jpg

he's been resprayed in the past and had a lot of filler work done which is now looking a bit worse for wear.

Anyway, this thread will chat the progress of my work on it :D

The aim is to get it MOTd by march at the latest so I can complete my bug whilst having something to drive. Fingers crossed.

14/10/06:

Last weekend Tom (tomarse) (and several others in fact) came round and had a good look at the bay. Apart from destroying most of the front panel which was more heavily fillered than I expected), Tom (with a tiny amount of help from me :lol: lowered the arse end of the bay properly - 2 splines down. Now looks so much better, I'm really chuffed :D

Before:
55_12.jpg

b7_12.jpg

(the pics from on eBay from whence it came)

After:

CIMG5301.jpg

CIMG5303.jpg

CIMG5306.jpg

I can still get my foot between the ground and the exhaust tailpipes though, so it can still go a bit lower ;)

Those pictures really don't show it very well :( mind you when they were taken we had only done the one side so it is bound to look odd. We did the other side in total darkness.

More to come :hangloose:

Total costs so far:

Van : £940
trailer: £60.50
fuel for towing van: £60 (Bristol to Maidstone and back)

I manouvred the van round into the flat part of my drive, to see how it sits.

CIMG5314.jpg

Ideally the front will go down a little bit to make it better.
I'm thinking dropped spindles.

This is how i'd love it to be, but unfortunately the front end is jacked up for this pic.

CIMG5308.jpg

I've also sorted out the handbrake so it works again. One of the wheels (front) is sticking so that needs to be sorted, and one of the back ones is a bit sticky as well.

Tom also sorted out the gear linkage as the front connection had had a wrong size (too small) bolt but in place, which meant it continually was falling apart. Now all the gears seem to work quite well.

14/10/06 continued 8)

Remember this?

CIMG5298.jpg

It's a perfect example of why you should cut out old metal before welding in new:

CIMG5320.jpg

CIMG5321.jpg

Underneath had just continued to deteorate :(

CIMG5331.jpg

CIMG5332.jpg

CIMG5333.jpg

Kept on finding rust...

CIMG5334.jpg

And then filler lower down the arch too...

CIMG5335.jpg

18/10/06

This bit fell off after I undid one bumper bolt and unwired the horn (I knew it was crap already :D)
CIMG5339.jpg

CIMG5340.jpg

Made a nice mess in my garden:

CIMG5341.jpg

This hole:

CIMG5335.jpg

turned into:
CIMG5343.jpg

And I also made this bit worse:

CIMG5345.jpg

:D

It's getting there, although progress was slow this afternoon.

I've had a stinking cold today and feel even worse than yesterday, so no new work today. Hopefully a good update on saturday though :D

CIMG5347.jpg

CIMG5348.jpg

CIMG5349.jpg

:) Spent ages trying to get the profile of the inner bit there right, think it looks OK now. Looks shit in the photo though :crazy:
At least I know there are the right number of layers and the double layered bit for strength is double layered :)

22/10/06:

OK, one trip to manchester and back (!) later...

CIMG5352.jpg

CIMG5357.jpg

CIMG5358.jpg

:D

180 miles with it like that ^^ we did get a few strange looks.

Heh. Too little progress on this thread for a day or two.

24/10/06 - Tom came over today :) and gave a hand to do this:

CIMG5360.jpg

We also started attacking the roof. Tom didn't take many pics with my camera though, so not many of the actual scary looking holes tonight. I'll post them tomorrow when I bother to go to the garage again :D

CIMG5363.jpg

This bit is above the sliding door. as the new roof is LHD it is important to preserve this bit carefully. :)

CIMG5369.jpg

This is the other side. Oops.

CIMG5371.jpg

Good job my garage isn't any smaller:

CIMG5370.jpg

Spot the bit that is meant to hole the windscreen in place?

CIMG5372.jpg

CIMG5373.jpg

CIMG5377.jpg

CIMG5378.jpg

vancut.jpg

It is so rotten :(. I was going to cut the red line in the above pic, but it may have to be the blue line instead. (everything above the line would be got rid of and replaced with new)

CIMG5394.jpg

CIMG5392.jpg

This old roof repair was a bit "interesting":

CIMG5396.jpg

CIMG5398.jpg

CIMG5399.jpg

CIMG5400.jpg

CIMG5401.jpg

but the new roof is a lot better ;)

CIMG5397.jpg

Tom came over in the afternoon, after going to look at a garage we got to work:

This is why you shouldn't let tom play with a screwdriver ;)

CIMG5402.jpg

or an angle grinder...

CIMG5454.jpg

Together, Tom and I cut the old roof off.

CIMG5455.jpg

back end off:

CIMG5456.jpg

both ends off :D

CIMG5457.jpg

CIMG5458.jpg

CIMG5459.jpg

We did wonder whether to brace the doors, but decided it wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. We shall see ;).

All the above work happened around last October.

Since then, I've done sod all work on it. Until today.

This morning, I got off my lazy backside and got to work again:

CIMG5711.jpg

Cleaned up most of the bits that I will be welding the new roof to round the sliding dooor.

CIMG5710.jpg

With roof strengthening brackety thing (which Dormobile cleverly removed when fitting the poptop - what a crap conversion :( ) ^^

and without:

CIMG5713.jpg

Finally, whoever invented fan heaters should be given a medal :D

CIMG5712.jpg

CIMG5714.jpg

Not looking too bad, some should be saveable, but as shown below some needs attention.

CIMG5715.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated as and when I do work to the van, so keep me inspired :D

Good work!
Keep the pics coming as it will motivate me to get off my backside :lol:

nice work, personally i would have braced it.
just keep your eye on the rear end as you have a late roof and the vents and hinge area are different, the "hinge arms" are different on the early buses so your have to use your old set up.
good luck

8) Cheers guys

Slammedkustom, the van will be keeping the early vents :)

I wasn't aware of the differences in hinges. The new roof was from a '74 tintop. I'll have to have a play about when the roof is on to see how it goes together.

nuff respect matey it will be a worthwile experience Top Job son :D :wink:

Always impressed when people put in this amount of time and effort into a van !! I wish I had the skills !

Cheers 8)

Yesterday, Tom came over and we did a bit more work to the van :)

CIMG5723.jpg

No more roof strengthening posts, and we prepped a large amount of the remaining area for the roof to weld to.

Some of the innter roof parts were too far gone, so this resulted in me standing in the pouring rain with a jigsaw trying to cut thin strips of metal :D

CIMG5724.jpg

Unfortunately, at this point some grumpy bastard from 4 doors down my road came and had a big rant about the noise we had been making. (at before 5PM too), Including threats of phoning the council etc.
My next-door neighbour had just come home at this point, and after the grumpy bastard had left, my neighbour called him a cunt, told us we weren't that noisy and that we should carry on cutting :lol:

Anyway, I've still got to cut more so I will be continuing sometime soon. If he comes and moans so rudely again, I'll be a lot less polite to him this time.

More to come :hangloose :wink:

Tell the guy to f**k off. Expect he's only jelous anyway :roll: Good to see the restos going well anyway. I don't know which one looked worse at the start yours or Ianbs? :eek: She'll be ready for vanwest i hope :shock:

Latest posts