Fire suppression anyone interested....UPDATE 03/12/07

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araon

Reaction score
Just had a further response from Firetec

+ we do offer club / distributor discount as follows:
1 - 5 units 20%
6-10 units 30%
> 10 units 40% ...........

off list prices below for separate orders.
note, discount is on whole kits only, NOT optional equipment
note, a separate orders mean a single order for a number of different kits, to be sent off at one time
note, delivery charge £15.00 is per delivery address regardless of quantity of kits or weight of box(es) to that address.

to any club / distributor that fulfils the following:
the club / distributor has a name, address, letter heading, day time phone number (which can be a mobile) and a permanent contact person.

If I become a distributor then we can order fewer kits to qualify for the 40% discount....There full price is £135 + vat....(£159 vat at 17.5)
Discounted rates 40% £81 (£95.20)
30% £94.50 (£111.50)
20% £108 (£127)

another 10 people required for this awesome saving....
Ill have to have a look sharing the cost of the initial delivery and obviously theres the distribution from there (hope fully this will as far as possible be via hand delivery but something could be worked out).

Its a thought anyways.... I'm contemplating buying some kits to sell on at shows next year etc....

Your thoughts / interest

I've got a firetec kit on the camper, really easy to fit and for around £100 i think it's something everyone should have. i got mine cos of the kids in the back and to save my 1915cc motor from going up!! thing is with a camper, by the time you realize something is wrong, say if a fuel line split and dumped petrol over your nice hot engine, by the time you see the smoke and have managed to pull over, it will be well alight, not giving you much time to get the kids out!! this kit works with a fire wire that wraps around the top of the engine bay and if a fire starts it melts the fire wire and empties a full bottle of co2 on the flames putting it out. You cant get much safer than that!
i put some NOS stickers on mine to make it look like nitrous oxcide!
100_1693.jpg

I had one for my splitty when a large order was placed by the SSVC ...Now need one for my early bay so count me in if enough are interested

Cheers guys Ok I recon it might be as well to start a list which can be then cut and pasted with the addition of the interested parties name... :D

Obviously I'll not be holding anyone to this forum just trying to amass some names to see if its viable...if so will confirm and your still interested and chase you for cash and discuss the options for delivery etc.....

1 Araon
2 Marvin
3 Slammedresto
4 AGC

If funds allow I could be in for two as I've always meant to fit one into the bug as well. I guess we can provide a preference of whether we want the vertical or horizontal fit bottle?

1 Araon
2 Marvin
3 Slammedresto
4 AGC
5 giraffeinbath

1 Araon
2 Marvin
3 Slammedresto
4 AGC
5 giraffeinbath
6 VWaircooled

I was thinking if everyone who wants one is going to the early bay meet in Donny,we could collect and fit them there together? Also where have they got to be collected from,someone may be close to pick them up who is going to Donny too.

giraffeinbath - yeah we can specify the orientation.

VWAIRCOOLED - whats this Early bay meet in Donny have I missed summit... :?:

Each order no matter size incurs a small delivery cost(£15 wether 1 kit or 100 to a given address) and all subsequent orders to the same address... To arrange delivery to the individuals will mean a close network to pass them around keeping the cost down..

I.E. I regularly travel Stamford to London via the A1 or M11 so am capable of delivering without any real hassle to the surrounding areas.

But courriering could be arranged at a price..

Or as you've mentioned at meets etc....

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Araon
2 Marvin
3 Slammedresto
4 AGC
5 giraffeinbath
6 VWaircooled
7 Clem

Am i on commission?? :lol:
seriously though, you wont get a better kit than this.

Araon said:
VWAIRCOOLED - whats this Early bay meet in Donny have I missed summit... :?:

Sorry I meant the one at billing aquadome in Northampton,don't know why I said Donny?

Has anyone ever fitted one to a beetle?
Presuambly it could be rigged up to the decklid somehow.

I could well be up for one but being a poor student I can't promise anything. It is definitely on my "to buy" list :)

to clarify - it only goes off when fire burns through the plastic? My engine bay gets very hot - the heat definetley wouldn't set it off?

Just back from a techenders w/e where Oilybay, a real life fireman, told us all about his engine bay fire last year and gave us a demo of a dry powder fire extinguisher - see youtube link below. His advice, fit one if you can afford it otherwise carry a fire extinguisher, or preferably both

do you have any objections 71bay, if I alert JK techenders people to this, as I'm sure there would be some interest, altho' not all EBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQTT8Z7pWf0 ?

1 Araon
2 Marvin
3 Slammedresto
4 AGC
5 giraffeinbath
6 VWaircooled
7 Clem
8 Swartie
9 wannabay

Tofufi - indeed I have seen theese ftted to bugs quite easily....

MMMC - if your engine temp sets it off then you have bigger probs to contend with.... 140 degrees C if the ambient temp in your engine bay gets that high then the tube will start to go, but what it means is that as soon as a lick of flame appears then that initial hot spot will melt and direct the suppressant at that point and fill the bay....

Wanabay - spread the word by all means and I will be carrying a hand discharge extinguisher too...

All - If the dry powder is preferred I believe theres a £10 additional cost pre tax...The CT range can also be primed with a low pressure Hallon gas substitute at cost (not sure how much).

All - If the dry powder is preferred I believe theres a £10 additional cost pre tax...The CT range can also be primed with a low pressure Hallon gas substitute at cost (not sure how much).[/quote]

oops, sorry, Aaron (not 71bay, altho' with that beautiful engine I can see why you've fitted a firetec!)

so what is in the standard firetec package?

Oilybay said that hallon is best, but it's now illegal to sell it, dry powder is next best, foam was third

The standard is AFFF foam easily fefilled after discharge..and will wash away with a hose.

Dry powder is good but what a pain to clean up. It gets everywhere if theres a gap it finds it..

Halon isnt available anymore but they use a variant to extinguish the fire as with CO2 it dissipates rapidly so best not to open the engine bay for a while...unless you have a handheld with you.

Specifications for use in VW T2 campers.

Cylinder: model E5. 270mm x 88mm diameter. 1.5 litres aluminium.
Tube: 3.50 metres 6.2 x 4.0 heat sensitive REACTON 80.
Valve: Stainless steel Axial valve with easy top-up external Schrader,
pressure gauge, and tube connections.
Bracket: light transport bracket, with countersunk bolt kit.
Extinguishant: special mix, 9% AFFF, non corrosive foam.

Installation options:
Upright on LH chassis leg, horizontally on LH chassis leg or horizontally
under engine compartment roof.
Buyer must state if under roof configuration is required.

Latest posts