my 69 resto thats taking an age to do...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosser

Reaction score
will post pics as im doing work on my 69 bay,, i brought it from a chap in croydon about 3 years ago with a blown engine and it had been sat a year also.... you can tell how bay prices have gone up as it cost me £650 back then with the empis and new roof rack....anyway heres a couple of pics when i brought it..... as you can see it didnt look to bad but when you start digging its like opening a can of worms... the front bumper was the first thing to go as i want a standard look....the devon roof was also sold as it leaked like a sieve...

69_bay_021.jpg

82607ae7.jpg

heres a bay i brought to use as spares as it was just far to gone underneath... this has give me an interior as the other bay was empty...i also got a pair of good original front seats and cut out the seat pans as mine are rotten and badly patched up... ive also kept the pop top to use on mine.....

R.I.P

vw002.jpg

vw004.jpg

vw006.jpg

ive got a few pics of bits ive done so far which i will list with a quick description of what i did.... some pics are not to good as this was done last year but due to an ongoing illness its took a while before i could get stuck in again... first thing i did after building a garage for her was to strip her down completly down to a rolling shell which didnt take to long...i also brought a beetle with a great 1641 engine and webber carb and took the engine out for my camper and sold the beetle on... engine only worked out it cost me £175 so chuffed with that.... please bare with me as it takes a while to find each pic and what to write... i will let you know when ive got to the stage im at at the moment....

first thing i done was cut off the drivers side wheel arch and seat pan and cab floor half.... i then repaired the inner wheel arch panel as shown and the b post....... these werent to hard a repair as it was quite solid...

Picture030.jpg

im sorry if there seems to be a lack of pics of some stages as i cant seem to find the pics.... but it gives you an idea of what ve done so far...

heres a pic of the wheel arch fitted and i can say that was a bugger to do as repro panels are not to good a fit....

restopics002.jpg

also you will see i have fitted the seat pan that i cut out of the old bus... this was quite an easy fit .... also had to put a lower repair panel in on it as it was a bit crusty along the bottom edge where it meets the floor ...

restopics001.jpg

next i cut the new floor half to fit ... this wasnt as easy to fit as i thought it would be ... but they were not a bad for a repro panel...

resto007.jpg

resto002.jpg

resto003.jpg

next i wanted to put the origanal low lights in as someone welded up the holes and fitted the indicators in the front bumper....i brought a complete lower front panel repair piece so i could use the corners to do the repairs.... this is a pic of the piece cut out...

restopics006.jpg

this is the new piece fitted and i had to weld the indicator brackets on to the rear of the panel so the indicators can be fitted as origanal...

resto004.jpg

i didnt take any pics during the repair of the windscreen edge but it was not there when i took the screen out so i welded in the 3 piece repair panels as shown in this pic.....

resto014.jpg

i then went to the other side of the van to do the arch and floor and seat mounting....heres a pic of the arch welded in and the b post was done aswell......

Picture038.jpg

also welded in the floor pan half, these were but welded so you can see the join.....

Picture039.jpg

7539d5ae.jpg

Picture052.jpg

heres a pic of the seat base repair and seat belt mounting point....

a240af71.jpg

a cheeky pic of her looking out the garage door.....

resto028.jpg

to make a change from welding i stripped the paint off the bumpers and filled where it needed and primered them....quite chuffed with how they came out...

resto021.jpg

resto022.jpg

i then repaired the front passenger side corner so indicaters are where they should be....

Picture063.jpg

a pic of the back stripped out and some sanding done by her indoors...

Picture053.jpg

i then replaced all 3 sills and made repairs to top hats and h section and repaired the floor and all new jacking points.....

Picture058.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

please dont laugh at the repairs as its my first resto so learning as i go along... the metal is a funny colour as its been rust treated aswell...

a little repair on side window edge...

resto011.jpg

side repair behind sliding door and i did cut out all the rust not just stick it over the top... like previous owners did... tut tut bodgers eh!!

resto006.jpg

and drivers side rear corner and i did passenger side aswell and both battery trays but cant find the pics for these,,,,

resto001.jpg

thats as far as i am at the moment..., i had to cut the hole in the roof bigger for the danbury poptop to fit and screwed down the frame for this... the pop top itself is covered in dulux so got all that to strip off yet....

heres a pic of the gearbox after i cleaned and painted it...

restopics004.jpg

restopics001-1.jpg

i will get more pics now as i go along with the resto... ive stripped and repaired both cab doors which i will get pics of tomorrow... ive been buying new stuff for her over the last 3 years so my attic and shed is crammed with goodies... getting bargains off ebay has saved a small fortune... i have all new rubbers for everything that can be replaced and stainless screws bolts etc, im sure you will see as i go along .....

this is the colour im going to paint her when and if i ever get that far....

DSCF0288.jpg

Latest posts