2110cc exhaust question! Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratty1959

Reaction score
Hi,

As above i have a 2110cc engine in my early bay, it has the follwing

Forged 90.5 b&p 82mm crank cb performace heads 044 big values, engle 120 crank, genuine twin 40 dellortos, and here is the question! Its running a vintage speed not 4 in to 1 and infeel like its being starved of power! People keep saying i should install a 4 in to 1 like csp Python etc etc.....

Anyone in the know have any pointers? Reluctant to put it on the rollers untill the correct system is installed!

Any help would be sweet as a nut :)

I had the same question recently, I spoke with Darius and he pointed me in the direction of Laurie Pettit's thread. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=691800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short he says don't go for a 4 into 1.
your better of reading the post rather than an explanation of it.

What you might need to look at tho is do you have the Vinatge Speed super flow as I believe you will require that with you engine spec.

There is also the ahnendorp
http://www.ahnendorp.com/index.php?language=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is supposedly the best on the market according to stateside tuning and the like

I ran mine with a VS superflow and it was ok. I swapped it out for the CSP python and the difference in performance was night and day. The first time I drove it I went up the road sideways as it was so much more free'er reving.

J.

*Sam* said:
I had the same question recently, I spoke with Darius and he pointed me in the direction of Laurie Pettit's thread. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=691800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What you might need to look at tho is do you have the Vinatge Speed super flow as I believe you will require that with you engine spec.

Any literature Laurie Pettit has ever written should be thrown in the bin, the bloke is a bodging fucking idiot I have a 4 into 1 merged header and a mondo muffler on my 2110, that makes 170hp and revs to over 7000rpm. 4 into 1 exhaust are the best flowing, end of... Vintage speeds are over priced and over hyped garbage in my eyes, all the fastest air cooleds have a 4 into 1, not a vintage speed in sight at santa pod.

K@rlos said:
*Sam* said:

Any literature Laurie Pettit has ever written should be thrown in the bin, the bloke is a bodging fucking idiot I have a 4 into 1 merged header and a mondo muffler on my 2110, that makes 170hp and revs to over 7000rpm. 4 into 1 exhaust are the best flowing, end of... Vintage speeds are over priced and over hyped garbage in my eyes, all the fastest air cooleds have a 4 into 1, not a vintage speed in sight at santa pod.

That's pretty harsh against a well respected engine builder with a LOT of experience.

Also, if you take the time to read Laurie's post, he isn't talking about outright power or speed. He's talking about engine torque, durability and life as well.

Tofufi said:
K@rlos said:
*Sam* said:

That's pretty harsh against a well respected engine builder with a LOT of experience.

Also, if you take the time to read Laurie's post, he isn't talking about outright power or speed. He's talking about engine torque, durability and life as well.

I myself have seen his work and know a few engine builders that have had to re do his work. They would be even more harsh, I doubt you would be very happy if you paid a lot of money and ended up with a leaky engine full of used and mismatched parts....

K@rlos said:
Tofufi said:
K@rlos said:

I myself have seen his work and know a few engine builders that have had to re do his work. They would be even more harsh, I doubt you would be very happy if you paid a lot of money and ended up with a leaky engine full of used and mismatched parts....

Wow! :shock:

Yup, he did the engine that's engine my girlfriends bug when it belonged to a previous owner. Con rod caps numbers were not matching, 8mm case oil pump in a 6mm case, dizzy drive pinion out by 180 degrees, oil pick up not fixed in the sump. Shall I continue??? :lol:

It funny we should get on to this subjet of LP the 1955cc that was in my bus before the rebuild was built by him, and needless to say my trusted engine man was appaled by the mismatch parts used and the lack of care and attention to detail with the 1955 built by him! The only decent part used was the case luckily for me, And yes csp Python will be fitted and spoken to many 2110cc and above drives and they all agree! Cheers guys for the comments and help!

ratty1959 said:
It funny we should get on to this subjet of LP the 1955cc that was in my bus before the rebuild was built by him, and needless to say my trusted engine man was appaled by the mismatch parts used and the lack of care and attention to detail with the 1955 built by him! The only decent part used was the case luckily for me, And yes csp Python will be fitted and spoken to many 2110cc and above drives and they all agree! Cheers guys for the comments and help!

A 2110 is a good motor for a bus, I have 1 and fucking love it. I do keep looking at the python myself as the mondo I have now is no longer in production but it is a lot of money :? Take it from me mate a 4 into 1 will liven up your motor.

As for th LP topic, glad a couple of others have stepped forward about his work, doesn't make me look suck a c*nt now :lol:

Well it's certainly news to me. Up until now I had only ever heard glowing recommendations and his "highly respected member" rating on VZi gave me the impression he was one of the best out there.

In fairness, his comments about the restrictive four into one were relating to the cheap mild steel small flanged ones that were popular a few years back - not the better large flanged ones.

The large flanged ones I used were not restrictive at all. Their only down side was the amount of noise that emanated from the so called "quiet pack"- which has to be a contender for the worlds most mis named exhaust award.

The exhaust I built to quieten things down worked better than I had hoped but in the end I went back to a vintage speed because, although the engine can take more, I never rev it above 5000 and then only very briefly if overtaking. The reason I went back is because the improved quiet pack still hung below the bumper and meant one had to be careful on speed bumps (of which there are ever more).

Ratty1959 will you be selling for VS then ? And is so how much for ?

Ratty1959 will you be selling for VS then ? And is so how much for ?

ratty1959 said:
Hi,

As above i have a 2110cc engine in my early bay, it has the follwing

Forged 90.5 b&p 82mm crank cb performace heads 044 big values, engle 120 crank, genuine twin 40 dellortos, and here is the question! Its running a vintage speed not 4 in to 1 and infeel like its being starved of power! People keep saying i should install a 4 in to 1 like csp Python etc etc.....

Anyone in the know have any pointers? Reluctant to put it on the rollers untill the correct system is installed!

Any help would be sweet as a nut :)

I'm not sure this will add anything to your exhaust decision, but here is what I know

Stainless Steel Turbo Muffler 2 ½’ Small Flange from VW Speedshop
Bugpack 4 into 1 Exhaust Header: 1 3/8” (35mm)
I had this exhaust set up prior to having my 2110cc engine built (35.5 exhaust valves)......

I was told tube sizing should be at least size of exhaust valve, preferably 3mm bigger for best performance....
but I was running standard Heat Exchangers - 33mm.
I couldn't afford new big bore heat exchangers and a new exhaust set up, so I kept it as is.
I may lose a few HP, but the 2110 is plenty powerful enough and I can even de mist my front window!
The exhaust sounds good, but is very loud, it sets off alarms on certain makes of car.
If i change it in the future I will re look at this thread.
My current exhaust also prevents me from having a tow bar and is quite low so I have to drive carefully onto ferries etc

Latest posts