Help - anybody fitted VW Heritage rear seat belt brackets?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petaypan

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone has fitted one of these...
I'm trying to fit a Heritage rear seat belt bracket and I am confused - it doesn't take much!
Our 71 Westy currently has a static 3point belt on the near side, bolted into the factory anchor below the window (behind the seat), and then bolted in under the seat.
It appears that the only bolt hole that lines up to the bracket is the factory anchor, which would then allow the bracket to rotate around it - there's no lower fastening. There is an elongated hole (see pic) that looks like it should line up to another hole or bolt, but there is nothing to fix it to.
Can anyone advise me - am I missing something, or should it just fit with the one bolt?
F3682CD5-8734-4C47-90C1-6E544BAB2FBB.jpg
[/URL]

Looking at the pic there's a hole to the left of your finger is it tapped ? If it is this could be the mounting for the elongated hole.The bracket would then sit at around 45°.
Or am I way off its hard to tell from the pic.
Phil.

Hi mate.

Just fitted one myself. The bracket should be mounted through the lower elongated hole that you refer to, as well as the upper original seatbelt mounting hole. The brackets were originally made for late bays, which would normally have the lower mounting hole pre installed. You need to fit an 8mm thread rivnut. There are a few videos on YouTube shoeing how to do this....really easy. The rivnut needs to be fitted through an 11mm hole drilled into the vehicle body. I found that I had to angle the bracket slightly due to the shape of the bodywork. Works well though once fitted. Can take some pics for guidance if you like?

Chris.

Hi mate.

Just fitted one myself. The bracket should be mounted through the lower elongated hole that you refer to, as well as the upper original seatbelt mounting hole. The brackets were originally made for late bays, which would normally have the lower mounting hole pre installed. You need to fit an 8mm thread rivnut. There are a few videos on YouTube shoeing how to do this....really easy. The rivnut needs to be fitted through an 11mm hole drilled into the vehicle body. I found that I had to angle the bracket slightly due to the shape of the bodywork. Works well though once fitted. Can take some pics for guidance if you like?

Chris.

bluebay said:
Looking at the pic there's a hole to the left of your finger is it tapped ? If it is this could be the mounting for the elongated hole.The bracket would then sit at around 45°.
Or am I way off its hard to tell from the pic.
Phil.

Hi Phil, yes it is tapped, but small - probably only M5/6 size. Wouldn't want to rely on it adding much strength in an accident though!

After studying the Heritage site, and searching on this site, I found a link to a thread on the Late Bay forum buy "Davidoft". I'm pretty certain that Heritage have supplied me with a right side bracket that was labelled as a left side... :roll:

CPBerry2011 said:
Hi mate.

Chris.

Hi Chris, thanks for the help. I did look on YouTube but didn't find anything - I'll try again.

Is this exactly the same bracket as yours? I'm pretty certain that this is a right side bracket that was labelled as a left side - see my reply above to Phil. If you have time to get a couple of pics that would be a great help, as it would save time if this can be fitted, it's another week wasted if I have to return it to Heritage.

Cheers, Pete

Petaypan said:
CPBerry2011 said:
Hi mate.

Chris.

Hi Chris, thanks for the help. I did look on YouTube but didn't find anything - I'll try again.

Is this exactly the same bracket as yours? I'm pretty certain that this is a right side bracket that was labelled as a left side - see my reply above to Phil. If you have time to get a couple of pics that would be a great help, as it would save time if this can be fitted, it's another week wasted if I have to return it to Heritage.

Cheers, Pete

This is the link of how to fit a rivnut

https://youtu.be/AfQIYLSKGwI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll add some pics tomo for you if ok.

Regards.

Chris.

Petaypan said:
CPBerry2011 said:
Hi mate.

Chris.

Cheers, Pete
Here's our LHS one from davidoft, you definitely have the wrong one

8b9d5286a8e1c52f101def745b2e7868.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hmm....I think I'm going ask to Alex from VW heritage to confirm as I have been sent the same one as Petaypan. The brackets are made for VW Heritage by Davidoft so that's odd :?

67Westy - thank you!
I'll call them up tomorrow, it sounds like they have labelled a batch incorrectly. Maybe I should just order a right side and hope for a left?! :?

CPBerry2011 said:
Hmm....I think I'm going ask to Alex from VW heritage to confirm as I have been sent the same one as Petaypan. The brackets are made for VW Heritage by Davidoft so that's odd :?
I believe alex has left heritage now, there was a thread on late bay about it last week

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just one word of warning - ignore if you like, plenty have - please don't use a rivnut. IMHO a rivnut in there would just tear through the panel in an arc if you ever had an accident. Lord knows where your loved ones would end up.

I've fitted these brackets to my panel van conversion and spent ages making mounts at least as strong as factory ones. I've trawled through various forums looking for ideas, some of the seatbelt mounts I've seen are truly shocking. The brackets are very good, don't bolt them to teabag thin steel and expect them to work. They'll pass an MoT, but won't pass muster.

These are my lower mounts...

and the uppers...

Good luck and stay safe.

Nobbly

Just wanted to bump this up as I have a question regarding how these fit around the bed cushions. As it stands, our Westy has a standard size rear cushion and I'm looking at getting an infill piece made to sit over the spare wheel well so that we have a little more shoulder space at night! I don't yet have one of these seatbelt extenders, but plan to in the future.

So, my question is, do these encroach on the infill piece and would I be better off waiting until the belt is fitted before getting the cushion made? Pics would be great if anyone has done this.

Moseley said:
Just wanted to bump this up as I have a question regarding how these fit around the bed cushions. As it stands, our Westy has a standard size rear cushion and I'm looking at getting an infill piece made to sit over the spare wheel well so that we have a little more shoulder space at night! I don't yet have one of these seatbelt extenders, but plan to in the future.

So, my question is, do these encroach on the infill piece and would I be better off waiting until the belt is fitted before getting the cushion made? Pics would be great if anyone has done this.

When you need one drop me a pm, the bracket and seatbelt will encroach on the foam a little, approximately 100mmx100mm square, best to fit the bracket and belt and measure the foam to suit

@67westy is there a chance that I could ask you to provide a few more pictures of your installation?
Just received same bracket and a front seatbelt. But I have doubt where to put one of the fixing points of the seat belt.

BuuSdK said:
@67westy is there a chance that I could ask you to provide a few more pictures of your installation?
Just received same bracket and a front seatbelt. But I have doubt where to put one of the fixing points of the seat belt.
Hi, sure no problem. I'm away from home until Thursday evening though but happy to take some photos then. I'll see if I have any old ones on my phone as well...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hi everybody !
Does the Vw héritage bracket allows to keep the spare wheel ?
I’ve bought a reprowesty bracket, but the 3 points belt box can’t be put due to the tyre.
The mounting holes seem to be slightly displaced between the 2 models.

Thank you

Éric

Thank you for four advice

Tbm700 said:
Hi everybody !
Does the Vw héritage bracket allows to keep the spare wheel ?
I’ve bought a reprowesty bracket, but the 3 points belt box can’t be put due to the tyre.
The mounting holes seem to be slightly displaced between the 2 models.

Thank you

Éric

Thank you for four advice

I believe it will fit with the spare, do you have a picture with your spare in place ?

Hi !
Sorry for the late answer, but after several tries, i don’t know how to put pictures on this forum.. i’ve got this message : « Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached »

The bus is a 1968 westfalia

Thank you

Éric

Mine fits with the spare in a 68 weary. Realised I never sent pics after my last post on this thread. Will try and remember this weekend...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts