"Quality" fuel rubber hose 1 yr old and split SAE J30 R9

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi,

New hose bought from Advanced Fluid Solutions, and you look back through my thread, you'll see how long it's been on - about 12 months, and this is what I found the other day:

And this only a year old :shock:

So i can't recommend what i have fitted, which supposedly is the best rated stuff? So what now? - note to people with cloth braided hoses, replace it, even the good stuff I fitted doesn't seem to last

Alistair

68_early_bay said:
That's shocking :shock: it's the same stuff I've got fitted :(

It's the same as a lot of us have got fitted........ :roll: :evil:

What are the merits of using mainly rigid plastic type fuel line? You'd still have to join onto rubber at carbs and tank ends though.... Or using metal pipe from tank?

Alistair

I was thinking of fitting one of these hardline kits to mine which would eliminate all hoses out of the engine bay

http://www.airkewld.com/Dellorto-12mm-Hardline-Fuel-Line-Kit-p/8080.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But they're a lot of pennies :?

I spoke to the guy at Advanced fluid and he told me the R9 stuff was shit and to go for Bio-fuel line which is 4 times the price but hopefully 4 times (or more the quality). It's not fitted yet so i can't comment on whether it is or not though it's the stuff that goes in top of the line cars - we shall see. Its not just the ethanol but also the heat and i believe static that plays a part in the degradation maybe electric fuels pumps play a part in this?

That is worrying :( although I've had no probs with my R6 stuff. The problem of course with the hardline kit is that the fuel pipe used out of sight, i.e behind the fire wall still degrades. Alex from Heritage confirmed on Late bay that the main filler neck tube they sell has been ethanol resistant for at least 10 years, but I don't know about the various other rubber pipes, particularly if you've got a cross over with the tank vapour system. I just make sure I check it all at least twice a year.

Wow that's not good. I've suggested their fuel lines on here a few times! Time to revise that advise and check my lines. 90% of the time I run on the LPG though so not so much of a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mine's done the same, not impressed, not even used my van much, c.v. boots perishing too.

Unbelievable, you buy a used car a wouldn't dream of checking the fuel lines but we are having to. I have that fuel line from them on my van and it is injection so under pressure. I stripped a subaru and most of the lines are metal so maybe that's the way forward and just connectors to change on a yearly basis?

Buses should have almost all metal lines anyway.

I'd be expecting a refund if I'd only had that lasting a year. :(

Tofufi said:

Yes they are meant to have metal from the pump to carb. Should any of the line from tank to pump be metal?

paul_q said:
Tofufi said:

Yes they are meant to have metal from the pump to carb. Should any of the line from tank to pump be metal?

The fuel line from tank to fuel pump should mostly be metal. It should be clipped to the fanhousing, either with a HT lead clip into the fanshroud (the same as those used for the HT leads, but with 3 slots instead of 2) or a clip screwed to the tinware.

You can just see the metal line in this manual picture:

page39.jpg

I have heard from a couple of sources there's apparently some fake hose on the market which has the markings but isn't what is says.

I would recommend either using volksbolts (hairy yeti on Vzi) or go to your local supplier and use the same stuff as used by the local reputable garages (because modern cars don't have their fuel lines changed every year).

recently fitted the same specification, oh well I check mine every month anyway. Maybe that's why the older stuff is cloth braided - to protect the pipe from the heat in the engine?

It must be the heat in the aircooled engine bay, as modern cars don't have problems and they use the same fuel.

mike202 said:
recently fitted the same specification, oh well I check mine every month anyway. Maybe that's why the older stuff is cloth braided - to protect the pipe from the heat in the engine?

It must be the heat in the aircooled engine bay, as modern cars don't have problems and they use the same fuel.

The temp in an air cooled engine bay is no higher than in a water cooled one. Check with a thermometer if you don't believe me :lol:

Ive just looked at mine. It seas r6 on it. Fitted a year ago and still like new inside and out :?
Chopped it all up now as I was doing a CSI on it.
May try and contact hairy yetty now.

Rich

Trikky2 said:
mike202 said:

The temp in an air cooled engine bay is no higher than in a water cooled one. Check with a thermometer if you don't believe me :lol:

Oh right, I thought that might be the reason for the fuel pipe degrading quickly!

Maybe as you say the quality varies depending on the supplier.

Latest posts