fitting a late bay steering box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlandpaintwerks

Reaction score
Here's how we fitted a brand new late bay steering box from just kampers.
We removed the old box

The circular opening was made bigger both sides of the chassis with a die-grinder and 2 of the bolt mounting guide tubes were removed.

Existing mounting holes welded up and 2 new one's re-drilled and guide tubes re-welded in.

Sprayed with Dinitrol for future protection.

All fitted up but you will need to use a pitman arm/washer/large nut off a latebay.There was no fouling of the front panel .

Drives Fantastic, wished i had done this years ago.
http://www.midlandpaintwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the new boxes much smaller than an original late bay box?

When i did mine last year, i had to invert the corner off the front valance.

Good work that's an easy option for everyone now, instead of getting ripped off with recon grease boxes

midlandpaintwerks said:

Nice post - one for the archive I think. :)

Obviosly your old box was worn out but apart from getting rid of the free play and/or stiffness, have you noticed a difference?

I think the gearing is different on later boxes so it should be lighter but less direct/more tuns from lock to lock?

1010331_211844448973281_1271505767_n.jpg

With the larger hole, it doesn't leave much room at the top of the chassis. Is this a weak point to be concerned about?

magoo said:
With the larger hole, it doesn't leave much room at the top of the chassis. Is this a weak point to be concerned about?

If there were no steering box then there would be less strength but, with the steering box fitted, that part of the chassis would be incapable of folding.

Lite Steer sell both RHD and LHD conversion plate and template.

Just remove the 2 rear crush tubes from box side and align the new plate with the 2 front holes, the plate fits over the chassis rather than replaces it. Remove all material from within the square hole, trial fit the box and tighten all bolts before tacking in plate, remove box and seam weld plate.

Funny just about to do this to our bus after having had a supposed recon box turn up full of grease and after a very scary 700 mile round trip to EBI with very dodgy steering

Got a litesteer plate sat next to my macbook as I type this, looking at offering a drive in and out service for this once we've done it to our own bus.

Graham L said:
Funny just about to do this to our bus after having had a supposed recon box turn up full of grease and after a very scary 700 mile round trip to EBI with very dodgy steering

Got a litesteer plate sat next to my macbook as I type this, looking at offering a drive in and out service for this once we've done it to our own bus.

Where do you get the litesteer plate from? Graham also be interested to know what you'll be charging for this, assuming your own bus fitting goes OK.

Pickles said:
Graham L said:

Where do you get the litesteer plate from? Graham also be interested to know what you'll be charging for this, assuming your own bus fitting goes OK.

Lite Steer....

http://www.litesteer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pickles said:
Graham L said:

Plate came from Neil at Litesteer who we've been chatting with as we've become one of their fitting centres for their power steering kit again, once I've seen the work involved I'll then be able to price the job up,

Graham keep us all posted a drive in drive out service would be a definite boon for the earlybay crowd especially with the box in the price

http://www.midlandpaintwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

How would you compare the drive quality to the Red 9 set up? When I spoke to you last year, you gave the Red 9 set up a very positive thumbs up. This might be a much cheaper option, which improves the drive quality significantly.

LV

Trikky2 said:
midlandpaintwerks said:

Nice post - one for the archive I think. :)

Obviosly your old box was worn out but apart from getting rid of the free play and/or stiffness, have you noticed a difference?

I think the gearing is different on later boxes so it should be lighter but less direct/more tuns from lock to lock?
Hi Trikky , its alot lighter and i dont have to keep correcting it.
dubdubz said:
was this the one you bought?
http://www.justkampers.com/211-415-049-h-steering-box-for-t2-bay-august-1972-may-1979-lefthand-drive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dubdubz thats the box i used.
I can see the lite-steer bracket being useful. but you will still need to enlarge the inner chassis with the die-grinder and if you do it without the bracket it looks factory, the choice is yours as this is not a difficult job.
Lordain Volley said:
http://www.midlandpaintwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How would you compare the drive quality to the Red 9 set up? When I spoke to you last year, you gave the Red 9 set up a very positive thumbs up. This might be a much cheaper option, which improves the drive quality significantly.

LV[/quote]
Hi Gareth , this has made mine drive great , but nothing will drive as good as rack and pinion steering rack , which would have been my next modification if it wasn't for my air.

Araon said:
Graham keep us all posted a drive in drive out service would be a definite boon for the earlybay crowd especially with the box in the price

This is what we want 8)

What's the situation with RHD boxes? Is it possible to get new late ones of these?

It's a great solution, surprised it's not been done commercially more.

bananacustard said:
What's the situation with RHD boxes? Is it possible to get new late ones of these?

It's a great solution, surprised it's not been done commercially more.

Yes, they're available Jeremy. Hope you're sitting down....

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Steering-box-RHD-1973-79-NEW-214415049H_act_shop.product_pID_85714_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts