Campervan wiring?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateLovesPurple

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury
At long last I am getting round to finishing off the inside of my bus and whilst i am at it I am finishing of the already started leisure wiring. This is what I am planning at the moment:

VanWiring.jpg

Any thoughts?

As you can see, there are 2 inverters in the diagram, one for the TV and one for a socket. The reason for this is I was given 4 small inverters so I would rather use them than spend money on a big one. The TV one is necessary because the TV I have is 240v, not 12v and again, I don't want to spend out on another TV just to be on 12v. Anyway, it will work straight of the hookup when available rather than running off the battery/charger.

Most of the 12v wiring is already in place, but I have a couple of questions I could do with clearing up,

1. The various 240v items, should they be on particular MCB's in the consumer unit? I can't seem to find any recomendations. My consumer unit has a 10A and a 5A MCB.

2. Has anyone put the memory wire on a stereo to the main battery and the other power wire on a leisure battery?

Cheers guys!

1. You need to check what they draw. I imagine 5A would be enough for most bits.

2. Yup this is what I have done and it works fine. I thought about a switch to flick between the two as well but never got round to it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

If that's a traditional 3 way fridge (like a Dometic RM123), I would not advise connecting it in to the leisure battery. It draws a LOT of power on 12V. The usual method in a motorhome is to connect it via another split charge relay (or a single fancy one that has 2 outputs) so that it runs on 12V only when the engine is running.

I would personally connect the memory wire as you have drawn.

Nick

71Westy said:
If that's a traditional 3 way fridge (like a Dometic RM123), I would not advise connecting it in to the leisure battery. It draws a LOT of power on 12V. The usual method in a motorhome is to connect it via another split charge relay (or a single fancy one that has 2 outputs) so that it runs on 12V only when the engine is running.......

Yeah, good point, I'd forgotten about that. I'll do that.

50/50 on the memory wire so far then. My thoughts on connecting it to the main battery was to enable me to pull the leisure battery out if I need to and not lose all my settings.

Actually, thinking about it, the fridge would only ever be used on 12v whilst driving, I would use it on gas if no hookup was available, so consequently the leisure battery is only connected to the alternator via the split charge relay whilst the engine is running, achieving the same result?

Latest posts