ISOFIX Baby Seat Bracket

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riviera1971

Reaction score
I was chatting with someone at VolksWorld yesterday about our Rock & Roll bed as we have a baby on the way and are trying to figure out how we're going to fit the car seat into the van.

They suggested that we could weld a bar under the Rock & Roll seat to enable us to use the Isofix fittings to securely anchor the seat.

Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Was gonna do the same but not sure it will work with the bed unless you attach it to the bed rather than the slopped but under the bed.

If you work it out do share as we're due in June! 8)

I was worried about it affecting the bed too.

But I've noticed that the back of the seat rests on metal (i.e. the boot space) and doesn't interfere with the sloping part under the seat at all.

I've found a VW Passat ISOFIX fitting on ebay for £35, so it's just a case of welding it to the sloping part.

I'll put some pics up when I get round to it. :eek:)

Hi all,
This is my first reply in the forum so here goes.
I have a 71 Westy that I only bought mid last year. I have three small girls and had the same dilemma about a baby seat and how to fix in position. I have a full width rock and roll bed installed.
I had a "top hat" section made out of steel flat bar and fixed it down with the two central seat belt bolts. Attached the baby seat bolt to this and it works just fine.
I'll work out how to but a photo up and send it through.
Hope this helps.

I had a similar issue... We have a rear facing seat which is for both isofix and seatbt installations... (maxi Cosi pebble), so I bought a T4 seatbelt for the front passenger seat (bay belts are not long enough - T4 are exactly the same to look at but the webbing is longer...)

Now my eldest is older and in a forward facing seat I have bought a Britax Eclipse Si - I think I'm right when I say these are the only seats that can be installed using a lap belt... You can pick them up second hand for about £30... Cheap enough to buy one just for the bus maybe?

Riviera1971 said:
I was worried about it affecting the bed too.

But I've noticed that the back of the seat rests on metal (i.e. the boot space) and doesn't interfere with the sloping part under the seat at all.

I've found a VW Passat ISOFIX fitting on ebay for £35, so it's just a case of welding it to the sloping part.

I'll put some pics up when I get round to it. :eek:)

I too would be interested to learn more about the feasability, of retro-fitting ISOFIX mountings, especially those which can be used with campervan rock & roll bench seats; both for my own interest and to supplement my earlier technical article in Transporter Talk magazine.

If its any help vw/audi sell an isofix bar and bolts for passats and a6's for about £20+vat ish that just bolts in place (on the redpective vag car).

might be worth looking at as an alternative to fabricating your own. at most all youd need to do is drill the floor and tack in a pair of spreader plates to bolt into

Hello,

My girl is 5months now and yesterday i worked out how to make isofix work in my Westy.
Will place some piqs when it’s ready.

What i’m going to do; weld a bar between the brackets of the bed, on the bar i’n gong to weld the isofix brackets (bought a set on ebay). When you use the brackets of the bed it will flip down when i’m using the seat as a bed ;).

Greetings from Holland, mycha

I thought of a similar solution but need to build and make sure it works 1st.
If you get yours up and running, pics would be great...

Ok here are the first photos, it’s work in progress and test-fase so PLEASE don’t mind the tape :oops:
Everything will be welded this friday 8) so we can go on a trip this sunday ;)

It works :D , metal bar from left to right, 22mm in diameter and 4mm thick steel, bar is 1180mm long and placed in drilled holes (22mm) in the westy brackets, will welded them all around, isofix bracket will be welded to the bar.

Some photo’s, again it’s test-fase so every thing will get welded 8) .
IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Greetings from Holland, mycha

can you give us the measurements on where on the braket you have drilled / fiited the bar???

Looks good otherwise and deffo gonna get fitted in mine

Turkish said:
can you give us the measurements on where on the braket you have drilled / fiited the bar???

Looks good otherwise and deffo gonna get fitted in mine

Friday when everything is welded i will make some photos with the measurements.

Greetings Mycha

This looks very interesting. I think i will have to look at this as a solution in my '72 Dormobile (we have child no.3 on the way this year).

As it has the original bed (that lifts up and slides across) I am thinking that somthing directly mounted to the metal would be best for me. Just need to work out if i can buy a mount and fix it direct or ir i'm going to have to get somthing fabricated.

hmm, think i'm going to be getting the base out and playing around for a bit. If I find a solution i'll share.

Welded in the brackets today, painted it and tomorrow the seat cushions can go in.

IMG_0959.jpg

The bar is in the middle around 4cm:
IMG_0962.jpg

And around 8,5cm from top:
IMG_0965.jpg

Greetings mycha

Great design and great idea,as usual from Mycha :D
I might copy the idea ....my twins seem to move about too much in their chairs attached withnthe seatbelts. And I need to buy the new ones 15-36kg now, so Imcould buy cahirs with isofix clamps and fit a couple of isofix bars
Where in ebay did you get those isofix bars, Mycha?

ibérico said:
Great design and great idea,as usual from Mycha :D

ibérico said:
I might copy the idea ....my twins seem to move about too much in their chairs attached withnthe seatbelts. And I need to buy the new ones 15-36kg now, so Imcould buy cahirs with isofix clamps and fit a couple of isofix bars
Where in ebay did you get those isofix bars, Mycha?

I’ve bought a pair from a Ford (they were cheap :lol: ) but you have them for different brands, search for isofix bracket or isofix mountings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Isof...CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc639f1ea#ht_500wt_1201

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=isofix+mounting&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...CarSeats_EH&hash=item4aaf5db917#ht_1202wt_968

Greetings Mycha

Latest posts