rotissorie ......what does a bus weigh??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oslo_mark69

Reaction score
looking to make a rotissorie to spin the bus upside down to do the chassis rewelding . what does one weigh and does anyone know the centre of gravity for a bus (minus the engine)

Hopefully these 2 pics will get you started...

DSC01381.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

No doors, interior or wheels on mine either.

Jim

thats cracker. if you has 360 castors on you could easily flip it and push it back into a garage. i was thinking about an auto vip with castors to get it in and out of the garage but im not sure my doors are wide enough.

That sure is a cracking piece of kit! I would love something like that in my workshop to save my poor ol back lol.

Is that yours then troupster?

:)

I didnt cross brace it no. I only rolled it maybe 6 inches at a time, front then back across my drive. I found it fine to work on it on its side like that. To put it on its roof would of reqired more lift and the roller didnt have that extra lift in it. The wheels made a handy divet in the tarmac for location :oops:

It was an ebay special. I sold it on on here a few months back. I certainly wouldnt entertain doing anything more than only very minor welding without one! Check out my Gallery thread for full details.

I did look into fitting castors and rolling back into my garage, but decent strenght castors would of been around 80 quid and the extra height may of limited access into the garage.

It certainly served me proud and if I had the space to keep it I would of done.

Jim

PS. I guessed at the CoG. I got it pretty close on, but even fitting the side windows made it top heavy. Its no big issue if youve got a secure way of holding it crashing over... hence the busted old screwdriver jammed in the mech! :lol:

Here is the one i built for my split.the split is out of it now.it could be made to fit a bay easy it mounts to where the beam is bolted so i guess it would fit a bay upto 69.the rear picks up on the torsion bar cap bolt holes.was a life saver when working on the splitty.Also castor wheels can be fitted to move it around.

CIMG2109.jpg

CIMG2140-1.jpg

roll9-1.jpg

roll7-1.jpg

thats pretty clever Rusty.

Has anyone any experience of the autovip? one with the wheels option?. i was hoping to be able to roll the bus in and out but the width is limited. might end up knocking a wall out of my garage and getting about 6 foot more space and rolling inside instead.

stripped out bus won't weigh much more than 1500 kgs. I think its about 2150kgs fully loaded for a micro bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some interesting offerings on this one.

this was my favorite...
[youtube]3cRGoLKamEE[/youtube]
:msn4:

Johnny said:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175412

some interesting offerings on this one.

this was my favorite...
[youtube]3cRGoLKamEE[/youtube]
:msn4:

Teah thats the one i like too jonny.we have a roller that could do that now so i fancy trying one of those as the van stays in one location and just rolls where it is.think this might be a project on my to do list.

I Have an autovip without castors and think that it is great and was able to slide it sideways when the bus was all the way over

madjack said:
I Have an autovip without castors and think that it is great and was able to slide it sideways when the bus was all the way over

which one have you got and was the van stripped out before flipping?? i was going to get the rotisserie heavy duty version but my garage isnt long enough so i would be limited to the autovip but will need to push it in and out with the casters.

I was told because the bus is very top heavy goes over with some momentum.

Hi I have the CJ Auto basic which can be put on castors I was amazed that when I rolled it over as I expected it to suddenly go and stop when the roof hit the floor but It is very controllable really strange because logic would say it should just hit the floor If you want to speak about it more call me as I am not the best on a keyboard 07973 760 332

Latest posts