Won’t idle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in Jan I ran the bus up and dropped the oil. There were no issues prior to that. In all honesty bus has been sat with no sump plate on and no oil. :msn4: I just lost time. So today I finally got into the garage and replaced the sump plate filled the oil fired it up which it did pretty quickly but it won’t idle. I can sit with my foot on the peddle and it will tick over lovely Take my foot off and it dies almost immediately no stutter no tailing off. I’m on a bog standard twin port.

Could it be the choke? As I say I’ve not touched the van since I dropped the oil. Cheers all

Before you do anything, I’d check your oil levels and get him good and warmed up and have a nice little jaunt, not crazy fast, just nice and steady and check your fuel supply too, pop some out of your fuel pipe into a glass jar or see through container and let it stand overnight and see if there’s any contamination in your fuel either solid or liquid. Don’t spill any fuel because it’s not big and it’s not clever setting fire to your noisey cupboard :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, don’t fiddle till you’re sure it needs fiddling :mrgreen:

It could be that your carb needs a good clear out. Mine has an idle circuit that seems susceptible to some sticky varnish stuff from ethanol in petrol that causes it to gung up. Follow the manual and it only takes about an hour. Nice easy job that you can do on the grass verge, forecourt of ATS on on a Sunday, campsite in the middle of nowhere on a remote scottish island (not recommended if you don't have a spare gasket!)

On the side of the carb, a round brass thing that should have a wire going to it. It cuts the fuel off when the ignition is turned off to prevent over-run. If that wire has come off, the valve is permanently closed.

Latest posts