1776cc pressure issue??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratty1959

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 1970 westy running a 1776cc engine, its been fine but if i leave it too long and start it Obviously takes a few gos to fire with the twin 40’s ive had the external oil filter blow the seal and piss all the oil out? Lucky it only happens on first start and not going down the motorway at 60! Too much pressure? What could be causing this shit? Please help.

Cheers

Jai

Put money on it being a stuck pressure relief valve and/or shitty aftermarket plungers & springs fitted.

You need a Fram HP1 oil filter, these have an internal bypass to prevent high pressure surges from blowing the filter.

gagvanman said:
You need a Fram HP1 oil filter, these have an internal bypass to prevent high pressure surges from blowing the filter.

While I only use Fram HP1’s on performance engines that won’t cure the problem if there is an issue within the engine such as a stuck pressure relief plunger or a pump that’s too big for the application or too thick oil being used. Those things need to be looked into first.

Hi guys its me ratty1959 for some reason it won’t let me log in anymore so had to open a new account?!

Thanks for all the input!

I am using a pound shop oil filter, so ordered a Fram, used to use theses on my old 2110cc.

Will check the oil pressure valve as well.

So oil i am using the 10/40 Stroker from Halso? Again used this in my old stroker 2110 maybe too thick for this very mild 1776?

Thanks guys let me know

I’m not waiting to start a what oil debate but 10/40 isn’t too thick, we put 20/50 in all the engines we do from stock 1600’s to IDA fed race motors. Still got my money on a stuck plunger or ‘high pressure’ spring kit. As I said before I highly just fitting a fram filter will cure your current issue but using a cheap shit filter is often a false economy also. Do you have an oil pressure gauge fitted? What’s it saying? If not get hold of an oil pressure test kit and check it. An oil pressure issue isn’t something you want to be throwing darts at.

So of anyone is interested it was the filter! Replaced it with a Fram and been as good as gold! I checked the pressure values as well! Thanks all for your input.

You're set up is wrong.. read this. https://www.wayoutwestie.com/aircooled-tech/running-weber-icts-on-a-vw-aircooled-engine/

CB

TheBrenvolio said:
You're set up is wrong.. read this. https://www.wayoutwestie.com/aircooled-tech/running-weber-icts-on-a-vw-aircooled-engine/

CB

I’m not sure what you mean, this link is about setting up Weber ICT carbs, not about external oil filters. Have I missed something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi

If you're twin carb set up is incorrect then you'll get oil forcing itself out, behind the pully wheel which will cover your engine in a fine mist of oil.

Most people compensate for that by using a filter and breather pipes all over the shop. Prior to doing that I'd make sure that everything on your carb set up is as it should be all you'll not resolve the issue and just end up with an engine with black pipes and ugly breather boxes everywhere - that's a sign that they're compensating for oil spraying everywhere due to inverse pressure.

The VW design meant that air could be fed into the engine via the crank opening behind the pulley. Poor set ups mean that inverse pressure is created forcing oil out instead of letting air in.

Ratwell have a really good piece on it if you google those guys and read up on what they have to say.

CB

Latest posts