Generator light coming on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landiedave

Reaction score
It's been a 'good' week :evil:
Firstly the split charging system has failed killing off the leisure battery, then I've lent our awning out which has come back with a massive rip before our trip next week.
I've just fitted a new split charging relay kit from VW heritage and the generator light has now come on. This didn't happen before so it must be something that I've done, has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks, Dave

I forgot to say that the generator warning light is dull, not as bright as when I turn the ignition on before starting. Also one of the previous split charging wires went to the coil, I followed the instructions and the new wire goes to terminal 61 instead. The existing charging light wire is also still attached to terminal 61.
Thanks again, Dave

I have very similar problem, but for me all was OK until I replaced the regulator. (red light now always dimly on).

I've narrowed it down to a mis match between the old leisure battery relay and the new solid state (Mexican) regulator.

An easy test is check the voltage on the blue wire, terminal 61/ relay wire / red dashboard bulb (they're all joined so should all be the same voltage).

In my case when I measure the voltage with relay connected the 12v (that also goes to the dash board light and relay) gets dragged down to 7v and red light stays dimly on

If I disconnect this wire from the relay the voltage goes back up to 12+v and red light goes off.

I think the old mechanical regulator could provide enough current to drive the relay whereas the new solid state regulator only provides enough current to drive the bulb, so if it has to power the relay as well the voltage drops as it is overloaded.

I don't have a fix yet, but this could be your problem if you've replaced the mechanical regulator with a Mexican one in the past and have a standard relay...

If it is your problem would be interesting to know what VW heritage offer as a solution

Problem solved!
Volksfarmers in Elham had a look and have sorted it out. The instructions say to connect one of the cables to terminal 61 of the voltage regulator (the same one as the generator warning light). They changed this to the live on the coil, which is where the old split charger was on and it now works great, no dull generator light.

interesting... I suppose this means the leisure battery is always being charged when engine is running, as opposed to using terminal 61 which will only energise relay and charge L battery when the correct o/p voltage is reached.

So with the coil both batteries are always being charged equally so takes longer to charge engine battery as half current always going to L battery. With T61, the engine battery is charged first, then the L battery.

I suppose in reality this doesn't make much difference, but probably best not to run the L battery right down or it may take charge from the engine battery (and vica versa)

Latest posts