Seatbelt for childseats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob8624

Reaction score
Hi, I had a quick search and couldn't find that much info.

Need to fit a carseat (daughter is 18 months) either in front rear facing or on the rock and roll bed in the back, rear or forward. The stock seatbelts are not long enough and just lapbelts in the back.

Do I need to fit one of these kits? https://www.justkampers.com/211-857-693-c-rear-4-point-seatbelt-vw-t2-split-1955-1967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979.html

Hi,

On the R&R bed I have a three point seatbelt on the drivers side, as I have a Westy I only have a lap belt next to the wardrobe.

Not sure if it helps but I’ve recently bought a ‘Britax Romer Eclipse’ car Seat for my 14 month old daughter.

The good thing is the seat can be used with just a lap belt (and also on aeroplanes), so it’s perfect for next to the wardrobe.

To be honest my three point belt fits ok, don’t forget to mount the inertia reel by the window, not under the seat.

Thanks

Matt

What are the options for rear belts in a Bay?

I am still on the hunt for an early Bay (Westalia Pop Top with 3/4 Bed) and two Seatbelts are a must as I have a 2 year old and a baby.

From what I have seen so far, only a 3 point against the body and a lap belt are available - but I have just seen this picture on the Vanwurks website.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EghKPNXq5X78dRkwuZjXe5jvFmx-amtI/view?usp=drivesdk

which clearly shows two 3 point belts. This would be ideal, but the security of the fixings, looks like it's to the unit?

Does anyone have two three point seatbelts on a 3/4 width bed? And where are the securing points?

I’m thinking that with a 3/4 you don’t have a real opportunity to use two 3 point belts, mainly because of what is obstructing the other 1/4 of where the bed would be. These belt points were in these vans long before any industry standards were reached like we have today. Davidoft makes a fabulous seat belt point extension by raising it to some where near what it is today, but not when a wardrobe is in the way, he’s on here and the Latebay too. I wouldn’t trust anything secured to the unit as it’s just not safe, it may however have a lot of engineering support inside the wardrobe as in braces etc so that it appears to be just bolted to the wardrobe, maybe. With child safety in mind, getting back to the original seat belt points or as close as possible seems a must, on the other hand these vehicles are approaching fifty years old, so how strong is the metal now ? This is a proper conundrum for most bus owners.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, good luck with it :mrgreen:

davidoft said:
pm me if you want some info on my brackets :)
Hi, looking for some solution for elevation on the rear seatbelts. Can you pm some info about the brackets?

luisandreft said:
davidoft said:
Hi, looking for some solution for elevation on the rear seatbelts. Can you pm some info about the brackets?

Hi there,if you’re having troubles getting hold of Davidoft, you can usually get him also on LateBay.com.

Ozziedog,,,,.same user name too :mrgreen:

Just got some risers from David, they fit both sides of a 69my van. You need a 7/16 standard seatbelt bolt, but about 40mm, for the fixing below the window, then a 6mm bolt for the other one. It will tilt the bracket backwards by about 20° but still ok I think.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

luisandreft said:
davidoft said:
Hi - new to the forum - also looking for extender brackets for the rear seat on the right - Heritage only sell ones for the left handmade due to the petrol inlet on the right hand side preventing any brackets being sold - can you PM me any details you have?

Thanks

Latest posts