A couple of fuel pump questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all. Firstly I’ve just noticed the oil level rising Slightly in the engine, I’ve smelled the oil and I can smell petrol so I bought a new pump but how can I defo find out the old one has gone. I don’t think it’s the carbs as it runs beautiful and starts on the button. Secondly can I cut fuel push rod to 100mm from 110mm For the pump or do I need a new one (I’m a tightYorkshire man) :lol: . Thanks all

The pushrods have hardened ends, for the sake of a fiver buy one that's the right length. Dynamo pushrods are 108mm and alternator pushrods are 100mm, anything less means they're worn.
If there's fuel in the oil it's getting in via the pump diaphragm or pushing past the float valves.
Change the diaphragm and/or fit a fuel cut off solenoid under the tank.

Sparky,
I have just put a new pump on from C&C. Bit of a bugger getting to the screws. Just thought on that I didn’t put any grease around Thoth foot on the bottom end. ( no instructions 👎) I assume that it does need it but your advice would be appreciated.

That’s great, the pump came with 2 gaskets.one had 2 holes for the bolts and one for the 100mm rod.The other ( which I haven’t fitted) was as per photo. I didn’t put this on as the pump mount was, I think sealed on with gasket seal. Didn’t want to force it off.Should I have?

Ok I give in 😂I’ll buy anew push rod I’ll just have to think what else I can save a fiver on 😂😂😂. How do I no if it’s pushing past the floats do I just monitor the oil level once I’ve changed it

montypsx said:
Ok I give in 😂I’ll buy anew push rod I’ll just have to think what else I can save a fiver on 😂😂😂. How do I no if it’s pushing past the floats do I just monitor the oil level once I’ve changed it

Yes is the basic answer :lol: :lol: Ask me how I know,but I only have one carb to worry about. :D
Or take it all apart and put 2 new floats in. But that cost money :lol: :lol: .

J & P
:D :D :D

Checking the floats is easy. Hold them up and shake them near your ear, is there any splashing about ? Is there anything draining out from them ? Hold them under water and see if any bubbles escape. The needle and seat is even easier, try and blow through, if you can, it’s toast or maybe just toasted.
For Yorkshire only :shock: :shock: :shock:
You may be able re surface a needle and seat with brasso or toothpaste it solvol autosol and lots of patience. :lol:
Re test.
CHECK!!! And double check your float levels because that can skupppper the whole shenanigans as well :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,, Or buy new ones, cheaper on mpg, so winnner winner :mrgreen:

Latest posts