Retrofit early fuel gauge into late dash..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My clocks are from a late bay - not an issue really apart from the fuel gauge sender is an early bay and the late fuel gauge doesn't work.

So I've ordered an early gauge from JK, and intend to try and replace the existing one with the early one - it it a straight swap?

davidoft said:
the space for the gauge is different as they are different sizes and shapes, you may need an earlier surround

Ah OK, thanks, I suspected as much. I didn't want to have to replace the surround as I've fitted a rev counter which matches the late-bay clocks.
I may be able to butcher another second hand separate gauge, like a Smiths one, and put it in the 'VDO' mount under the dash with the oil temp gauge. Or maybe it can be trimmed?

I don't actually think the gauge works, when I had my van rewired a few months back, the guy said the sender was working so it must be the gauge that's faulty. Kind of makes sense as the needle was all over the place when I got the van, then after a few weeks nothing. If I take this gauge out you're welcome to it if you want to try and fix it.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Latest posts