So what mpg are you all getting?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not done many fill-ups since I got my bus in May, but the ones I took measurements for I got the following...
(I'm running a 1776 with twin 40 IDFs and slightly taller 3rd and 4th gears)

21 - mixed
18 - mixed included a rolling road session.
24 - mainly motorway @ 60 mph
17 - Cross country route to Santa Pod then motorway back (I ran out of fuel on the M42!!)

page48.jpg

If you're getting more than stock it's a bonus.
I've got a 2054, 5 rib 'box with 195/70/15 rear tyres, and get around mid 20's mixed driving and just over 30mpg on longer runs/Euro trips.
I cruise at 65-70, which is about 3200rpm so peak cooling, and it's still running on the IDF idle circuits.
Used to be mid 30's until I put the full length roof rack on.
Every bus will be different depending on body, weight and driving style.

I have a pop top westy, with my old engine and transmission set up which was a 2110cc with twin 44 IDF’s and a built high ratio box I was getting about 26mpg and I generally cruise at about 60-65mph.

I’ve altered some things now: new heads with a high cfm, hotter cam, bigger exhaust and 48 IDA’s as well as a built 091 box with a longer 3rd and 4th. I won’t be surprised if I loose a couple mpg but even so a stock 1600 bus is only about 22 so can’t be worse than that lol

Back in the day, these were fairly competitive on the mpg front, but technology has moved on to what we have today and our little busses aren’t as fuel competitive as the modern stuff. Another huge factor is that very few peeps have stock sized tyres on so the figures can be all over the place because the speedos aren’t reading true so it gets complicated.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,bit like life really :mrgreen:

Mine's pretty stock and I get around 22 travelling around locally.

... Thinking about it, when I got the 17mpg I was making the most of having a completely empty van and ragging every gear, good fun until I unexpectedly ran out of fuel.

In Ozziedog style.......if only my gauge worked :)

fallingoffalot said:
... Thinking about it, when I got the 17mpg I was making the most of having a completely empty van and ragging every gear, good fun until I unexpectedly ran out of fuel.

In Ozziedog style.......if only my gauge worked :)

And was you trying to surprise unsuspecting motorists and zooming off at the lights :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,and racing scooters :mrgreen:

Don't know , don't care as long as it goes and gets me there and back.
I just enjoy the ride. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I think about 26 ish. More of the above though.

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts