What's going on here?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrApollo

Reaction score
Hi, please excuse my ignorance, but what's going on here? is this a type 4 engine with an upright conversion? or a modified type 1? Either way, what is the box on the top of the engine bay?

Many thanks
0LSRQuo.jpg

It's the crank case oil breather. The two pipes on the side connect to the rocker covers and collect oil, the box has some sort of membrane in and the other pipe connects to the oil filler pipe.... (or something like that)...

https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Oil_System~Oil_Breather~Oil_Breather_Kits/AC115552/Oil_Breather_Kit.html

Thanks, I'd thought crank case breathers were much smaller than that.

Any idea if its a type one or four engine?

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback. I just test drove it, goes like a rocket - comparatively. The owner claimed to know very little about it. He said it was an original twin carb 1776 cc motor. My reading tells me this was never an original spec, especially as the carbs looked vertually new. No engine number either, not corroded or warn, just missing.

It did drive very nicely, but I'm a bit uncomfortable about the lac of clarity around the provenance of the engine. V5 says 1773 cc and doesn't list any modifications

Can anything further be deduced from the image of the engine?

Many thanks

It might be a converted type 3 engine, the engine number would be on the top of the crankcase between the distributor and the oil filler tower.

Ooh, the mystery deepens. I think I have a photo of that area, and I can't see a number, am I looking in the right place?

6hpPRWj.jpg

Easy way to tell,under dipstick,there is a blanking plate on the case for the type 3 oil dipstick and filler.

Latest posts