exhaust recommendations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebay

Reaction score
Hi all
I`m in the market for a new exhaust having run with a 4 into 1 with phat boy box, good for power but too loud especially after 300 mile trip !.
Then ran stock which is very quiet but cuts performance a little.
Engine is 1776 mild engle cam 32/36 weber.
So what do you recommend I`ve been looking at vintage speed what do you think to them ? Do the increase the heat around the engine bay being stainless ? any long term use by anybody ?
any others worth looking at
Thanks
Phil,

Vintage speed systems are a god awful sounding thing. A loud tinny droning. I’ve replaced 2-3 for other people for this reason and poor build quality

Vintage Volkshaus are the best - Mike is an amazing fabricator and can make anything you need to your spec

https://www.facebook.com/vintagevolkshaus/

I've just ordered this exhaust from CSP : https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/muffler-beetle-66-13-1600cc-251-001-050-27443a.html
I will use it with TDE pipes.

I read everything good about this muffler..

I`ve got a vintage speed. Sounds great and no issues whatsoeverer and it`s stainless. It`s just on a 1641 with twin jugs so not a mahooooosive two and a something litre bigish lump. Very very good value for money. Not sure on how long I`ve had it on but it is several years, more than three but less than ten. The sound is not like someone trying to break the sound barrier just a nice VW noise and a little gruntier than normal. Never ever heard it described by anyone as tinny. If I got another bus that needed the zoorst replacing on anything up to and including 1800 then I wouldn`t hesitate in getting another.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,deffo would have another :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I`ve got a vintage speed. Sounds great and no issues whatsoeverer and it`s stainless. It`s just on a 1641 with twin jugs so not a mahooooosive two and a something litre bigish lump. Very very good value for money. Not sure on how long I`ve had it on but it is several years, more than three but less than ten. The sound is not like someone trying to break the sound barrier just a nice VW noise and a little gruntier than normal. Never ever heard it described by anyone as tinny. If I got another bus that needed the zoorst replacing on anything up to and including 1800 then I wouldn`t hesitate in getting another.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,deffo would have another :mrgreen:

Same engine, same exhaust. Runs very nicely with the twin DRLA 36s. No complaints at all on build quality or tone.

Thanks for the feedback guy`s.Plenty of food for thought.I am leaning towards the VS exhaust.
Phil.

I have a Vintage Volkshaus and not only is it a thing of beauty, its really well made and sounds amazing.

Marvel said:
I have a Vintage Volkshaus and not only is it a thing of beauty, its really well made and sounds amazing.

Any pics? How loud is it?

I also have a vintage speed (1776cc + 2 x 40s) and I find it a bit loud. Round town and short trips it's fine, but on the motorway gets a bit tiring. I am too looking for a replacement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2u2nkfzJySzoyADN9

It’s less loud than my old Turbo Thomas, and gives me bucket loads of ground clearance.
(Follow the link for a photo, I’m using Google Photo now that Photo-bucket are d!cks)

Running 2110 with twin 44's. Had merged header with phatboy exhaust. Really loud.
Swapped for vintage speed superflow about 4/5 years ago. Looked great. First year or so was fine, then did a few long motorway trips in the space of a week (approx 1500 miles) and after that it sounded quite loud (guy who tunes my engine says might be a problem with the baffles getting too hot). So yeah, now on motorways after a while it does sound quite loud. Did look at a csp python but my bus is lowered (not slammed) and there's not much clearance on the exhaust, plus it's expensive. If I had to go for a new one, I'd look into the guy who fabricates them himself (works/worked for an f1 team?)

Latest posts