Rear camber help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Evening all. After 15 months sat in the garage my 1971 dorma is back on the Tarmac and I can't believe how well he ran but sat on the drive it looks like there is more camber on the passenger side rear wheel than the other side. Can this be adjusted if so how do I do it

Regards phil

Have you driven it? If you've just taken it off jacks then it might just have landed a bit funny.

Otherwise, there's not really much to adjust for rear camber. Check that the ride height is even on both sides- angle gauge on spring plate- and if that's all OK, you may be able to get a tiny bit of adjustment by loosening the semi-trailing arm/hub bolts and moving things around. Might be worth getting a proper alignment done in that case though, as it's not especially precise.

Hi all Just had I thought could the rubber bushes on the torsion bar be perished and add to the problem as I've never replaced them since I've had my camper which is about 8 years

montypsx said:
Hi all Just had I thought could the rubber bushes on the torsion bar be perished and add to the problem as I've never replaced them since I've had my camper which is about 8 years

That sounds like it may be plausible, I’m guessing that one side could wear quicker than the other. I remember when I was taking mine down a couple of splines on the back that I still used my original bushes because the new ones didn’t arrive in time. Once I got the new ones, I was a bit surprised how much larger the new ones were and that’s another on the to do list the next time I’m messing about with the ass end. From memory the old ones were an eighth or maybe even a quarter smaller all round. So possibly once they’ve worn to a real low then they may be almost disintegrated but I’d imagine you’d hear that on your travels. That was the first thing that I thought of when you posted this, but I’m nowhere near sure so I piped down for a bit.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,gotta be worth a look :mrgreen:

My son has a 67 type 1 with a weird lean to it..
Slammed with a big turbo motor, you know how these youngsters are...
Anyway talking with a local vw guru, he said that it's not unusual for one of the torsion bars to be weaker over time... ?
Just a thought....

Thanks for all the replies guys looks like I'm going to be busy the next few nights lol

Latest posts