Oil leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed oil on the drive. When I investigate the oil seems to be sat on the tinware to the left of the engine underneath the oil pressure switch. Went out today around the Brecon Beacons about 100 mile in all and I noticed smoke when climbing the last hill home. On investigation there was oil on the exhaust burning off which explained the smoke. I also have speckles on my rear bumper. Any ideas. Cheers. Apart from that we had a great day van didn’t faultier once

Tweaked the pressure switch not to much don’t want to crack the case or snap it off. Going to clean underneath tomorrow remove and clean oil pressure relieve valve and control valve. See what happens

thejinx said:
Tweaked the pressure switch not to much don’t want to crack the case or snap it off. Going to clean underneath tomorrow remove and clean oil pressure relieve valve and control valve. See what happens

Aerosol style cleaners are great for a good clean up after you’ve got rid of the worstest of it. If you clean up and still have a bit of trouble tracing it, then clean up and give a light dusting of talcum powder. Run motor for ten seconds then leave it for ten minutes and you should see a start to it. If nuffink, run for twenty seconds, then leave for ten minutes etc etc etc. If that don’t track it down, then you don’t got a leak :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, talc is easy to clean up too. And smells nice in the noisey cupboard :mrgreen:

Had a tinker. Oil pressure switch was defo leaking. Cheers Ozzy. Also decided to reinstate the oil bath filter instead of the pancake one. One thing that has stumped me is the oil pressure relieve valve got the spring out but couldn’t get the valve itself out. Followed instruction in “how to keep your Volkswagen alive” couldn’t get it out no matter what I did. Play with it again when I calm down

thejinx said:
Had a tinker. Oil pressure switch was defo leaking. Cheers Ozzy. Also decided to reinstate the oil bath filter instead of the pancake one. One thing that has stumped me is the oil pressure relieve valve got the spring out but couldn’t get the valve itself out. Followed instruction in “how to keep your Volkswagen alive” couldn’t get it out no matter what I did. Play with it again when I calm down

Don’t even go there, I was getting so flipping irate meself with the bloody dash that I took out. Just trying to pop it back in with fifty year old wiring, manky fingers and even mankier eyesight, this is just in that horrible distance where the glasses are a more of a hindrance than a help. So I’ve got it all back together and no genny light :evil: Have another go, then I’ve got no genny light and the fuel guage has gained a half a tank :evil: :roll: :evil: Sotry again ,, and again then I broke a bulb holder,,, then I broke a tiny female spade connector.So I’ve ended up with just one old dash light, but I got a fuel guage, no wipers, :roll: :roll: :roll: and we call this relaxation and a hobby :evil: So let’s get some ‘’’ more’’’ new bits and nail it back together once again. Trying my hardest to get to tech Enders next weekend for my first outing. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I’ll still maybe go,, depends on what I got working in that bus :mrgreen:

Latest posts