Devon Roof Vent Missing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmann1963

Reaction score
Hi

My Devon bay has had a taped up hole on the roof since I have owned it, what is supposed to be there is a mushroom style air vent which works with the interior fan. trouble is all the one I can see on line are too big, as this hole is only 20mm from the start of the pop top. The attached images are what I reckon is supposed to be there. Cheers Andy

Don't think that's an original vent shown I'm afraid... The only roof fan vent that I'm aware of was central to the roof, and much larger, like a big mushroom.
If you're not a purist and don't much fancy taking the pop-top off to weld the hole up, I recommend getting a smaller vent or blanking plug 3D printed to fill the hole. You could spend ages trying to track down the right vent.

The roof panel on mine came from a 72 Devon on my 1970 panel van with a 75 - 76 Devon pop top fitted. Devon seemed to start of proceedings with a single vent, then with the later poppy tops they went to a pair of mushroomed rear air vents at the rear then one in each corner and I do believe their later ones even had six vents all trying to combat condensation issues, but they had the formulae wrong :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,weird plastic too. :mrgreen:

The roof on mine came from a 72 Devon and had exactly the same issue. The vent was extremely brittle plastic and had long since decided not to be waterproof and I stared at it from an ackward angle and it disintegrated in front of my very eyes. It was however just a fresh air vent and wasn`t connected to a fan of any description. I did exactly as Simon suggested above and welded a little panel in but I was transferring the whole roof panel to my van at the time. There are lots of vents available with knobs to block air flow too. I`ve fitted a much later 75 plus Devon roof to mine and had to change the mushroom air vents on this one too because they also had exceeded their brittle by date but I couldn`t get the exact size and had to get 5mm bigger which in this case worked fine. On yours it may be possible to fit an oval one or a slightly larger one by dragging the vent and the hole a tad more to the rear. Of course the other idea as Simon has said above is to make a blank, possibly with 3mm foamex and clunge it on there with panel adhesive. If you wanted to get funky with it, you could have it vinyl wrapped with a picture of a vent on it or whatever. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,Mines a bit of a Devon mongrel :mrgreen:

pic of my roof vent ....😲

ps. mine fell apart on inside 🙊 all that's left on mine is vent mushroom...😥 at least its water tight 🤗

probably start to leak now 💦

Westi57 said:
pic of my roof vent ....😲

ps. mine fell apart on inside 🙊 all that's left on mine is vent mushroom...😥 at least its water tight 🤗

probably start to leak now 💦

Whatever you do, don’t look at it sideways or it’ll have a titfit and implode :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, same plastic as modern fuel pipes maybs :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the comments and advise. I managed to get one from a marine place on ebay, just need to open the whole up a few mm. Andy

Latest posts