Steering slop / vague

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pettman

Reaction score
hello, I am a very recent owner of a t2 crossover (last friday) and the one thing Ive found that I need to address more than anything is that when driving the bus in a straight line there is a good 2-4 inches of play in the steering wheel before the steering effects the wheels.

This is resulting in the bus essentially snaking down the road and feeling a little unsafe. I have read countless threads on the samba forum and watched a number of videos of people with the same issue and done the checks as described. The bus has a french slammer installed with drop spindles on the front and is all less than a year old, so I think I can rule out the swivel pin being the culprit.

Ive yet to find someone that has a french slammer with any steering issues. The drag link has no play when wiggling the steering. I did notice that when wiggling the steering wheel it does move the drag link and pittman arm a tiny bit but not the wheels.

I did notice while I was under there the rubber steering coupling has a bolt loose, so I have a new one coming today and will replace and make sure all bolts are tight, could this alone be the cause of the slop?

My next port of call was to jack up the front and then screw in the steering box adjuster screw and then back it off and check the steering.

Apart from those 2 things can anyone give me any pointers as to what could be causing the issue?

Could be anything in between the steering wheel and the wheels.
Steering coupler, steering box, drag link, idler pin, track rod ends, wheel bearings.
Although having one loose bolt on the steering coupler is really unsafe as there's only two securing it to the steering column and the other two to the steering box.

I appreciate there are a number of components that could be a cause or accumulative cause of the slop. But seeing as the front end is new and moving the steering wheel doesnt move the wheels i would like to think it could be narrowed down. Ill give the wheel a wriggle later for a bearing check, but the front has new discs etc too so cant imagine its that

sparkywig said:
Although having one loose bolt on the steering coupler is really unsafe as there's only two securing it to the steering column and the other two to the steering box.

And just because parts are new doesn't mean they're OK, you have to check everything.

sparkywig said:
sparkywig said:

And just because parts are new doesn't mean they're OK, you have to check everything.

Yes I know I am coming across as writing off the rest of the suspension as its new but as you say, you never know. Ill start by fixing the bits I know are loose and then check all of the other ends and bolts and then i will finally check and adjust the steering box

It should be fairly easy to see where your play is coming from, given the amount you’re seeing. I would jack the front up, then lower the front wheels onto some chocks (to give the steering system some resistance), that way you can get underneath it and inspect it all whilst someone turns the steering wheel from side to side.

The most common cause of play is the steering boxes in these. No amount of adjustment to the peg will account for the slack that has built up between the worm and peg.

Personally, I’d get your loose bolt sorted and then drive it again, this could well be causing the majority of your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where about's you are but!!!...

Graham at Midland Early Bay is the official supplier and installer , why not just ring him first.
Of French Slammer that is.

J & P
:D :D :D

Replace the bolt first because it’s nigh on impossible to check very much at all if you have a bolt missing. If the rubber doughnut/ coupler is in decent condition then don’t change it because the replacement type available can sometimes be a tad iffy. Look out for the horn earth wire when you’re mucking about around there, it’s a sinch to break it off and the horns on these work backwards as well and that’s usually the problem area.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, wonder it steers much at all. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies guys. Already in contact with Graham and has given me the places to look and check.

I jacked up the bus tonight and then did up the loose bolt and then as if by magic the steering seemed way less slack and the wheels were actually responsive with a small amount of play, need to take it for a drive first to test, so fingers crossed.

I did however find that the pittman arm has a bit of movement going into the steering box resulting it a bit of a clunk, I took a video which Ill upload in a sec, if I can solve that then I think id be pretty happy

Latest posts