Fitting wide 5 alloys on late bay discs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboyping

Reaction score
Ok so I have an early bay with 5 x 205 rear wheels but fitted with 5x 112 fronts as it has late bay discs.
I’d like to change from the steels currently fitted to wide 5 alloys all round.
Is this possible at all? I’d like to just bolt on a plate etc and not buy expensive brakes if possible.
Paul.

Have used decent (steel) adapters for years with no problems. 1 set at the moment on 5x130 porsche and previous bay wide 5. Only issue on wide 5 was that the caliper needed a couple of mm shaving where it touched the inside of the wheel.

Had a google of these adapters but I can’t really see how they fit and what they look like with alloys bolted on.

Fatboyping said:
Had a google of these adapters but I can’t really see how they fit and what they look like with alloys bolted on.

It’s not complicated lol, the adaptors bolt to the 5x112 hubs on the inner holes then the rims bolt to them in the outer holes. You can’t even see them with the wheels on so it doesn’t matter what they look like.

K@rlos said:
Fatboyping said:

It’s not complicated lol, the adaptors bolt to the 5x112 hubs on the inner holes then the rims bolt to them in the outer holes. You can’t even see them with the wheels on so it doesn’t matter what they look like.

What discs are you running there?

pkrboo said:
K@rlos said:
Fatboyping said:

What discs are you running there?

This is a picture I found online but on my own bus I run EBC cross drilled and ventilated discs, see below

i have heard that if you are going from a small stud pattern pcd that bolts flat to the hub to a larger pcd that is not mated against any surface but is only bolted to the wheel , the torque of the wheel spinning or braking hard can shear the inner part of the adapter from the outer part... if that makes sense?!
what i mean is that the 5 205 bolt holes and fingers of the adapter can break from the inner bolt holes via a circular force.
dont know how much truth is in that statement and ive not had experience....
but i probably wouldnt fit as a result.

way i see it is the whole adapter should really be sandwiched between the wheel and the hub/brake drum.

The adapters are generally 20 or 25mm steel plate... If your worried about them shearing then what are you going to do about your wheels, they're only 4 or 5 mm and subject to the same force!!

thru_a_lupe said:
That’s a fair point... just reiterating advice I once got...

The only issue (potentially) is studs pulling out of aluminium adapters, get steel ones and you won't have an issue

Latest posts