Worn torsion arm bushing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
I new to doing technical repairs and have just come to replace the rear torsion arm bushing.
The problem is the old one is so worn the torsion plate plate cover won’t fit with the new one as the centre is now put!

I’ve read torsion plates are danderous so...
Is this an expensive fix and needs to be carried out by a garage/ expert and what’s involved please?
I don’t fancy getting ripped off!
Thank you

wallyvan said:
The problem is the old one is so worn the torsion plate plate cover won’t fit with the new one as the centre is now put!

Do you mean that the torsion plate cover will not fit with the new rubber bush?

If so, I had the same issue, the bush seemed a 1mm too big which made it impossible to fit the torsion plate cover. The idea is to get the cover on just enough that you can get the bolts in, then use the bolts to slowly ease the cover over the bush, however, the cover was no where near close to going on, certainly not close enough to make a start on the bolts.

You have three choices:

1. Grease the bush (USING RED RUBBER GREASE, normal grease will harm the rubber) - Use longer bolts to start 'pressing' the cover on. Once the cover is on, replace the long bolts with the correct ones.
2. Grease as above, then use a vice or press to push the bush into the cover.
3. Carefully shave a small amount off the bush on the edge that goes into the cover first, just a small amount, then grease as above.

Don't grease the bushes, they will squeak in a few months.
Pull the torsion cover on with longer bolts and tighten equally or you'll distort the cover.
Then replace the longer bolts with the original ones once the cover is in place.

You do realise that there is an inner bush as well, and you'll need to replace both at the same time.
That means pulling the spring plate off the torsion bar, mark both the spring plate and torsion bar with a punch before removing so that you can put them back in the same position.

Thank you boh for your help, really appreciated.
No I didn’t know that there was an inner bush as well.
I have read it’s a dangerous job to remove the spring plate due to the tension it’s under. I suspect that this is a job for a garage?

It's a relatively simple procedure if you have a decent stable trolley jack.

You need to:
mark the hub to the spring plate using paint or similar:
undo the 4-off bolts holding the spring plate to the hub
Put the saddle of the jack under the end of the spring plate
Lift the spring plate off the lower stop slightly with the jack
Lever the spring plate away from the stop and slowly drop the jack.

Once you have dropped the jack down and all the spring tension is released, the plate should just pull off.

Re-installation is the reverse.

Remember to mark the spring plate to the splined torsion bar!

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts