Help, can't get rear torsion bars out of the swing arms

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elibomrod68

Reaction score
Hello,trying to lift the rear of the bus and have successfully removed suspension.
The torsion bar slid out of the inner part on the bus easy peasy...

But both sides are stuck in the swing arms, so I can only adjust by one inner spine.

Anyone got any advice on pressing torsion bar from swing arm.
Have tried a bit of penitrating oil plus a bit of heat from a kitchen blow torch. Plus trying to press out with a 5" vice.
Neither budged a sausage!

Cheers Si

I’d take them off the bus, put the arms in a vice, or rested on top of a vice with the torsion arm hanging down through the jaws, then get a massive drift and a sledgehammer and give it a damn good beating!

Bear in mind, the inner and outer splines are different, so you want to mark the orientation of the parts before you remove them from the bus and separate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
I’d take them off the bus, put the arms in a vice, or rested on top of a vice with the torsion arm hanging down through the jaws, then get a massive drift and a sledgehammer and give it a damn good beating!

Bear in mind, the inner and outer splines are different, so you want to mark the orientation of the parts before you remove them from the bus and separate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is correct ^

Add a blow torch for lots of heat. :character0036:

When you reassemble give it all a good clean and then use plenty of copper grease in the splines to prevent this in the future.

Latest posts