Rear Suspension and Wheel Spacing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotoval1

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any clues why one of my rear wheels is closer to the outer arch than the other.

I have checked wheel offset and tyre pressure and all the chassis is original VW. Everything seems to work ok just one wheel seems to stick out a bit more than the other.

That's a strange one :?:

By how much is the difference? Are the shaft and drum assemblies identical either side? Have you measured both side drive shafts etc to the back plate. Have you have any body panels changed sometimes that can put the bodywork at the arch out but I am sure you would have noticed that visually.

Mine is the same. Rear panels are original, and apart from cosmetic damage, aren’t distorted in any way. The rear wheels pivot on bushes on the trailing arms and the torsion rods are supported by bushes. If any of these are worn, or have worn in an uneven way, this could cause an imbalance.

Also, they are old vehicles and manufacturing tolerances weren’t as good when they were new as what we have nowadays, and all these things add up!

How excessive is your imbalance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a measure and the nearside wheel is approximately 10mm closer to the arch than the offside wheel. The arches are original as are the suspension components.

Everything appears to be seated and operating correctly .

Get yourself on a level surface and plumb up with a decent level and measure the distance from the plumbed level to the top of the wheel rim on both sides to check the variance in the angles. Then turn van around and check it again in case there’s an issue with ground level.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,. Then you’ll know where you’re at :mrgreen:

Ours is the same. Ns tyre just touched arch when we had empis fitted. Van is us import that we bare metalled and had no damage......suspension was correctly adjusted...

Latest posts