Engine wont turn

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
I taken out the engine to replace the cylinder head. Managed to get it back in and connected all the electric connections. Power is getting to lights and wipers but the engine will not turn. I had no issues with the starter motor prior to taking out the engine. Does this mean the starter motor is knackered or is there something else I have overlooked?

Almost certainly something you’ve overlooked - it is highly unlikely to be coincidence that it fails at the same time it has been removed!

Are you getting a click from the solenoid? I’d check the spade connector on the starter solenoid is tight and clean if not.

Do you have a hot start relay fitted - was this wiring removed or left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. You have missed something. Just run through your wiring again. Battery connected? Wire attached to top of alternator? Wires connected to coil etc.

Before you go chasing about all over the place. Put the ignition key in your pocket, and make sure you are in neutral as well. Open the door to the noisey cupboard and give him a real real solid stare then grab him by the fan belt and see if you can turn him over by hand. Then you’ll at least know it’s not seized or dropped or jammed a valve against a piston or some other mishap.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, then it’ll be easy peasy :mrgreen:

Cheers for the advice. Managed to check connections and still unable to to turn the engine. I gave the
solenoid a gentle tap with a hammer and lo behold the engine turned but won't fire. I can only turn the engine three times before the battery flattens which suggests something is not right. Need to go through it again :(

What is your definition of the battery going flat? If it is just because it won't keep on turning the engine over past 3 turns, then it is probably not a battery problem, but that your starter solenoid isn't making a strong enough circuit to keep cranking.

I'd get a new starter, or get your refurbished if it is an original Bosch, and I'm sure you'll be right as rain after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts