First non-start of the winter, Help please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orr_niall

Reaction score
Hi, I know that the starter has been sticking on when starting the van recently. I have got used to giving the key a slight turn off when starting to disengage it.

However today all I am getting is a horrible rasping noise from under the van when turning the key. Nothing from the engine chugging to life.

I have searched YouTube and can find a video with the same sound to compare.

Has anyone else experienced this and am I right in now thinking the starter has gone and my need replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your solenoid was sticking and stopping the starter from disengaging, but now it is stuck in the opposite position. Give it a tap with a hammer and you’ll probably find that it will work again.

However, I’d really be looking at getting it out for a clean and refurbish before you burn it out when it gets stuck engaged with the engine running.

Gave it a few taps with the hammer today, and still the same horrible rasping noise when key turned and nothing from engine. Van was running great until now!

Watched a video on removing the starter motor, there is the D shaped bolt that seems to be the issue. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it?

orr_niall said:
Watched a video on removing the starter motor, there is the D shaped bolt that seems to be the issue. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it?

Undo the nut at the other end ;)

It's in the engine bay behind the fanhousing :)

Hopefully the noise you're hearing is not as a result of a damaged flywheel. I've seen it on a car in the past that when the starter begins to fail to engage fully, it will begin stripping teeth off the flywheel, to the point where it won't engage, and instead just spins up against the ring gear teeth. Makes a horrible noise. Once your starter is out, you'll be able to see if the flywheel needs replacing also when looking into the starter hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a first port of call I'd try and remove the starter motor, change the bush, inspect the teeth and clean up the contacts on the solenoid.

Few points:
It's easy to remove the D bolt, it's re-fitting it that's the problem, and honestly it's not that hard. Pop a dab of grease on the back of the head of the bolt when re-fitting- that'll stick it a bit to the starter and you won't push it out of place so easily. Make sure the threads are clean, too, and use a light touch when you're popping the nut back on.

Changing the bush is trickier, but it is a big cause of starter motor failure and while you're there you may as well change it. You can buy a tool to help you, but it's £75:
https://www.vwheritage.com/ac0007062-starter-motor-bush-puller-12v-vw-spare
But it's just as easy using the below, which'll cost you about three quid:

Y0Sytfz.jpg

Thanks guys. Going to give it a go tomorrow taking it out and hopefully flywheel ok.
Fingers crossed

And when you have changed the bush and inspected the starter you might have advantage of fitting a 'hard start relay'.
https://www.vwheritage.com/ac9112917-hard-start-relay-kit-12v-vw-spare

You can create your own kit, just use a relay that can handle the power, eg 80 A. And a 16 A fuse.

R.

Just a belated update. Took the van to the garage and had the starter refurbished by their spark.
Also new ignition switch and now running a dream.

Latest posts