1971 Early Bay Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamworth

Reaction score
Hi will my 71 bay still be MOTD exempt if I lower it and change it to a red9 set up.

Hey there, I don’t think it’s all that crystal clear as in the mods allowed. My guess is that you wouldn’t be mot exempt. But fifty quid a year? It’s not worth worrying about. I’ll still mot mine, as a matter of fact I Had mine mot d two weeks ago. Lucky I had a spare RHD steering box because I hadn’t noticed how bad mine had got. He said it could be adjusted but I had a spare so I popped it on.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,but who would know ??? :mrgreen:

I'd suggest that the change to Red9 would consititute a significant change to the original steering system, thus meaning it would require an MOT.

As Clem says that will be classed as a significant change. And further more With the experience I’ve had with Red 9 stuff i’d Recommend not wasting your money on that overpriced rubbish.

I have a client that has a Red9. He came to me asking to double check the torque of the bolts holding the susp to the body. They were all loose, because there is a gap between the body and the susp mounts, the bolts cannot hold properly. I had to make a custom shim on the exact profile so i could fit it in the gap and then replace the rubbish hardware with proper graded bolts. It’s fixed properly now. Next job? Make custom spacers on the late to replace all the 1 million washers they used as spacers. And yes, all different sizes. I would never spend my money on that setup.

Abel

atafonso said:
I have a client that has a Red9. He came to me asking to double check the torque of the bolts holding the susp to the body. They were all loose, because there is a gap between the body and the susp mounts, the bolts cannot hold properly. I had to make a custom shim on the exact profile so i could fit it in the gap and then replace the rubbish hardware with proper graded bolts. It’s fixed properly now. Next job? Make custom spacers on the late to replace all the 1 million washers they used as spacers. And yes, all different sizes. I would never spend my money on that setup.

Abel

Pretty much the same as the issues I had, there is a reason 99% of buses are lowered on conventional style beams. And if set up right they drive lovely.

K@rlos said:
atafonso said:

Abel

Pretty much the same as the issues I had, there is a reason 99% of buses are lowered on conventional style beams. And if set up right they drive lovely.
Totally agree😄

Latest posts