Fellows front discs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
Has anyone got the Fellows Speed Shop front disc conversion, it's a bit more expensive than the CSP kit but the spec is better. Is anyone running the Fellows and can tell me what it's like?

Hello I have the fellows kit and it’s fantastic, been on for a year now still stops really well. Haven’t driven a bus with the csp ones but I decided they were worth the extra cash for 4pot callipers and ease of swapping between Porsche and 205 pattern. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

c4725f595dc6bbbf8f075742a8ba943e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellows is an amazing kit, pricey but a far better set up than CSP’s.

tmcg said:
Hello I have the fellows kit and it’s fantastic, been on for a year now still stops really well. Haven’t driven a bus with the csp ones but I decided they were worth the extra cash for 4pot callipers and ease of swapping between Porsche and 205 pattern. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

c4725f595dc6bbbf8f075742a8ba943e.jpg

Thanks mate, always good to hear a first-hand experience. It's a great spec and looks pretty sweet too.

K@rlos said:

Generally you get what you pay for, I'm happy to spend money on good kit which I have heard this is. Funnily enough my mate fitted the CSP kit on his split last winter, this winter he's putting a servo on it because they just aren't sharp enough. He was impressed with the fit and how everything went together, but underwhelmed by the performance. Fellows have quoted me £1325 fitted and done, few hundred more than the CSP but I'm only going to upgrade once. Have you got experience of the Fellows kit?

SiDev said:
K@rlos said:

Generally you get what you pay for, I'm happy to spend money on good kit which I have heard this is. Funnily enough my mate fitted the CSP kit on his split last winter, this winter he's putting a servo on it because they just aren't sharp enough. He was impressed with the fit and how everything went together, but underwhelmed by the performance. Fellows have quoted me £1325 fitted and done, few hundred more than the CSP but I'm only going to upgrade once. Have you got experience of the Fellows kit?

If you’re looking for an increase in initial bite when you press the pedal, then discs aren’t the answer. Whilst discs offer benefits over drums, the main one being the ability to dissipate heat better, you’re still relying on leg strength alone to activate them. Fitting a servo will make the biggest difference as it multiplies the braking effort.

Personally, I’d spend the money on the servo first, and if you find situations where you’re getting brake fade due to excessive heat build-up, then I’d be looking at a disc brake kit.

I love CSP stuff but I think the disc conversion is guff. Over a grand for obsolete Vauxhall single piston calipers. I put together a Porsche turbo conversion with 4 pot Brembos on my bus for less that that.

Moseley said:
SiDev said:
K@rlos said:

If you’re looking for an increase in initial bite when you press the pedal, then discs aren’t the answer. Whilst discs offer benefits over drums, the main one being the ability to dissipate heat better, you’re still relying on leg strength alone to activate them. Fitting a servo will make the biggest difference as it multiplies the braking effort.

Personally, I’d spend the money on the servo first, and if you find situations where you’re getting brake fade due to excessive heat build-up, then I’d be looking at a disc brake kit.

It was my mate who was underwhelmed with his CSP kit and expected sharper, more responsive performance from the CSP, and he is fitting a servo this winter to try and sharpen them up. Hopefully it works.
For me personally, I've been through a fair few brake cylinders on the front and even the best quality ones seem to seize or stick, and they aren't cheap. Having 2 young kids and when loaded up with camping gear, I want to have confidence I can pull up' nice and straight and not worry about fading.
I'm going to get the Fellows kit and see what that's like before a servo.

K@rlos said:
I love CSP stuff but I think the disc conversion is guff. Over a grand for obsolete Vauxhall single piston calipers. I put together a Porsche turbo conversion with 4 pot Brembos on my bus for less that that.
I agree, lots of money for what you are getting, and I'm also a fan of CSP but these don't appear to represent good value.

so62westie1970 said:
Fellows disc's all day long for me very happy

That's great to hear, how long have you had them on and have you seen any negatives?

kleinbusRonnie said:
Please note CSP have TÜV -- makes them legal here in Denmark.
I've heard Wilwood are not road legal ..not sure, though

R.

I don’t know who told you that but Wilwood brakes are TÜV approved.

Latest posts