PLEASE HELP. Non Starter.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did replicate your fault witch seems to be sourced from the ignition switch black wire so it might be a faulty switch

Thank you to all who have tried to help with great advice.
I will be in the garage this weekend and trying all advice offered.
All will be revealed on Sunday or Monday night depending on if I am still sane. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have a good weekend all.

J & P
:D :D :D

I'd go back to basics mate.
Providing there are no major issues with the engine or timing way out it should at least fire/ run with fuel & spark.
Take one of the leads off and whack a spare plug in...hold it on the engine case, turn it over & check for spark.
Then take the fuel pipe off the carb & turn it over checking for fuel delivery.
Least you can hopefully narrow it down to fuel or ignition.
Have you tried removing the electronic ignition & try a set of points on?
Good luck mate.

So a small update for all who might be interested.
Saturday saw me in the garage and Pippa plonked in the drivers seat to crank when required.

Suffice to say , after all the testing with a meter I found under cranking load there is NO voltage at the coil.
There is voltage all the time until cranking when it disappears. So a new ignition switch has been ordered.

Found a blown fuse for the dash lights and replaced , so all good there now.
Am wanting to install a starter motor relay but do not have a wiring diagram , if anyone knows where to find a good one???

Kinga if it is the switch you get a gold star. :lol: :lol: Sorry and Tony123

Many thanks to all who have contributed , I am eternally grateful. Will update when the starter switch has been replaced.

Thanks again all.

J & P

Dont know if this may help, but our split-screen 1600p running 009 distributer with Pertronix ignition, lay down on Saturday had to get the ride of shame home on a low loader,
Felt like she was off on a plug so stopped checked the leads and tried again but had the same symptoms so stopped and rechecked the leads, this time she ran ok but had a few back fires before running fine, later that day got the same symptoms which ended with an AA call and at this point there was no spark at the plugs so got a ride home.
So checked the van out today one step at a time, all leads swapped,coil swapped,rotor arm swapped, dizzy cap swapped, connections on stater checked no difference so swapped the distributer to a spare with points and condenser, 1st turn and away she went. Took for a drive and no issues. Came home and checked the Pertronix module with a 12v supply and meter the voltage did not change when i put the magnetic ring near the module, so looks like its failed. Seem they can give intermittent running problems before a total failure. So Im sticking with points to see how things go.

So after a lot of messing about , we have the following,

Dash lights working.
13 volts at starter.
11.01 volts at the coil

Then under cranking the voltage at the coil drops to 8.8 volts

No spark from the spark plug at all under cranking.

Starting to think there might be a wiring fault somewhere in the loom.

Is it possible a brand newly installed electronic ignition module is faulty? Slippy8v referred to a test
he did on his with a 12 volt supply, does any one know what readings I should be looking for?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

J & P

Try this Jonathan.

Connect a jumper wire from the Ignitor plate to battery -ve.
Connect the red wire from the Ignitor to the battery +ve terminal along with the +ve from a volt meter.
Attach the black wire from the Ignitor to the -ve lead of a volt meter.
Move or rotate the magnet sleeve in front of the Ignitor module, the volt meter read should vary from battery voltage to 0 volts and back.
If it does not, then you possibly have a burned out power transistor or a failed Hall cell.

Hope this helps I did the same test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHISqJxEhxE

Short update:

Found fuel in the oil. :shock: :shock: :shock: Oil level rise.

Carb is off and am going to check the float chamber???

Idle shut off on carb is working , took it out and used direct live to battery. Possibly o ring is not working internally.

Another week with no Boris :cry: :evil: :evil:

J & P

Thanks Abel,
Took the fuel pump off and had a look also, could not see any holes in the diaphragm.
Going to attempt to get a repair kit or a new one , even if only for a spare.

J & P

Hey Jonathan, you know how I’m always going on about the fuel pump test with the old water bottle etc etc, I reckon if you tried this test and there was any issue with the pump then it would show up. Pipe off carb, and pop into old large water bottle lead on its side, pipe in about an inch or so, crank over with coil lead off and covered, fuel on vinegar stroke should more or less hit the bottom of the bottle. In your original post, you mentioned loads of petrol and it stank of it which might tend to make you think it’s not the pump perhaps? Or maybe a small to tiny hole that gets worse with a warm up? :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, ^^^ abridgedversion :mrgreen:

Hey Ozzie,
Will try this method before I install new one.

Have a feeling that the float in the carb might have been letting by or jammed in the open position.
Opened the carb and trimmed the gasket a tad and stopped the float from touching the side.

I am also assuming that if you turn the carb upside down then, the petrol in pipe, should be closed
and if you blow into it, then it should be closed/blocked.
Was able to blow through it before repairs made.

Thanks again for all the info everyone it all helps.

J & P

Small update, Boris is up and running :shock: :shock: :) :)
From what I can determine it came down to the petrol pump and carb combination.
Carb flooding and drowning the engine in fuel. Have not been on a long run yet .
Will save that for a sunny day hopefully. :lol: :lol:

Thanks all concerned for help and recommendations.

J & P

Update time: Well Pippa wanted to go out in Boris now that he is fixed. :shock: :shock:
Not to sure as every now and then he was coughing and spluttering.
Anyway, the day arrived and off we went down to the coast for some ions and a test drive.
Breakdown card in the back pocket and a bunch of tools in the back.
Needless to say all went well on the trip there and back, apart from one small problem.

Coming up to a junction ,foot on the clutch....engine dies. Restart no problem.

Coming up to a junction , foot on the clutch ...engine idles perfectly.

Also ran really cold on the gauge all day about 60 to70 degrees Centigrade.

And this repeated it self the whole afternoon. Got back and washed Boris ... cold start
and fired straight up.

Anybody have any ideas , my thought was maybe a little to lean???

Any help appreciated.

J & P

So Boris starts and goes , happiness is. :D :D
Set off for Heyns museum first meet of the year.
Drive off down the road and about half a mile down the road spluttering and jerking.
Pippa says it feels like there is not enough fuel getting through. I agree and push on. :D
3 miles or so later and all is now well and on arrival foot on clutch at stop street and engine dies. :cry: :cry:
Manage to get in and park up. Don't touch anything and after meet travel home. Same jerking then all ok. :shock: :? :?
Arrive home and engine dies. Manage to garage Boris and after turning the engine off
go round to the back and I can hear gurgling???????????????????????????? :shock: :shock:
Take the top of the air filter off and find that the sound is coming from the carburetor. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can anybody enlighten me as to what might be the cause of this please..
No vacuum from tank as cap does not seal. Am flummoxed to say the least.
Unfortunately the video I took will not work . :evil: :evil:

Please help.

J & P

Latest posts