Tyres / Stance Thread - Lets see what ya runnin!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People fit smaller tyres to gain clearance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch when the van is lowered. If you don't have any issues with it rubbing or issues relating to the tyre size then stick with what you have would be my suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*Sam* said:
People fit smaller tyres to gain clearance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch when the van is lowered. If you don't have any issues with it rubbing or issues relating to the tyre size then stick with what you have would be my suggestion

It is also a fast way to lower the general bus height at the front. ;)

Does going to 175 on the front from 185 have any advantage? I get the profile helping to lower. Just wondered as the tyres im looking at don't come in 175.

To be honest no in fact it will knock your speedo out of calibration so you will be
A. Not going as fast as the speedo reads

B. Racking up a higher millage on your odometer.

Cheers for the info, thought 175 might have been a bit easier to steer as there's less rubber contact with the Road? Might stick to 185's on the front as not got a problem with these currently. Plus better load rating on 185, might just drop profile down from 65>60.

holeydub said:
faux said:
You said you wanted Earlies!

Here is my old very, very Early (April 52) bus :mrgreen:
195/65/15's on rear and 145/65/15's front
ap14.jpg

only just noticed this i remember selling this at KK all those many many moons ago... thats if its the same one bloody looks it though uber cool barndoor :)
its now in Belgium. a friend of mine owns it.

Now then, here’s a before and after at the end of last summer.

These are the original hubcaps to this van with some clear lacquer and some old beauty rings that were skulking about in my garage. Those spoked wheels are for sale now , I think they’re Radars or copies.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, love em :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi!

Am looking to go for some new wheels and tyres and after reading my way through the 31 pages of opinions, can't really work out what is the best option! Would prefer to have the same size tyres all round, just for ease, don't want to have to add spacers etc - very much plug and play . Obviously going for a low look. Suspension already lowered.

Q1: 165 vs 185 - what's the best option?

Q2: What do people think about reinforced tyres? We're off to France for August, lots of driving, fully loaded van with 2 bit and 2 small people. I understand you can reduce the profile a little with this option which is the end game. 65,, 60 or 55.

Cheers

Currently standard but hoping the CE 4” beam and adj spring plates arrive next week in time to be fitted along with the dropped spindles sitting in my lounge.

Hi,
I want to change my front setup. At the moment I'm running 165/65 14 on 6 inch steelies with a 3 inch splitty Dogback beam and dropped spindels.
I have to get lower tyres, because it´s scratching above in the arch when I drive into ground waves or something like that.
The beam is into the highes position, so I can´t get more space about this way.

Does anyone drive 165/50 or 165/55 14 inch? I need a picture of that to decide.

Thanks & Greetings
Jens

aGermanfromOklahoma said:
Hi,
I want to change my front setup. At the moment I'm running 165/65 14 on 6 inch steelies with a 3 inch splitty Dogback beam and dropped spindels.
I have to get lower tyres, because it´s scratching above in the arch when I drive into ground waves or something like that.
The beam is into the highes position, so I can´t get more space about this way.

Does anyone drive 165/50 or 165/55 14 inch? I need a picture of that to decide.

Thanks & Greetings
Jens

Is the beam set up correctly as on that set up it shouldnt rub on its highest setting, we use 165/60/14 on all the French Slammered lowered buses we build with no issues, also what dampers are you using?

88c39fd06f0b88ef06323bd385d73db1.jpg

Looking to know the fitment etc of these standard wheels. What alloy wheel size & fitment should I be looking at for replacement?
Also may refurbish them, if so what chrome caps should I be looking for?
Any links would be great as I start my shopping trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya,these are known as wide 5s. The P.C.D. Is 205 that’s pitch circle diameter I think or how far apart the studs/ bolts are to hold on the wheels. Mostly you’ll need 14” wheels or you could go 15” but with lower profile tyres. Once you start changing tyre sizes from stock, then you’re likely to start throwing the speedos accuracy through the window. There are tyre sizes sites on the web that will give you the calculations to maintain the overall tyre circumference to minimise the inaccuracies. Then you have the off set which is where the wheels hub is fixed to the rim, if it’s too far out then you won’t get the wheel and tyre under the wheel arch. Check some of the builds on here and most will tell you which offset will fit bestest or maybe the for sale section to hear of wheels that were previously fitted to a bay.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, you can get lots of sets too :mrgreen:

I'm considering the Creative Engineering adjusters to lower my standard set up Westy.

What's involved? is it just buy and fit the kit and new shocks?

Currently running 185/65 Rear with adjustable spring plates
Front stock beam with adjusters 175/65

IMG_06421.JPG

I am going to be fitting drop spindles shortly on a stock width beam

but think current front tyres are a little large, don't want to go much lower than what I have now, just fitting spindles to make the ride nicer as adjusters are too harsh on their own.

So whats peoples opinions as to what I should replace them with:

175/55
165/55
165/55
other?

I want to make sure they don’t look too small too though as not slamming it and want to clear the arch

Hi Jon, I’m not sure where you’re getting your info from, but I don’t think you could go any lower and get a ride that’s less harsh, or even have the height you have there and not still have a harsh ride. In the pic you have less than three inches of suspension so it needs to be firm or the wheels will hit, adding dropped spindles will not change that. Not wanting to pee on your parade or anything :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, in my opinion, of course :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hi Jon, I’m not sure where you’re getting your info from, but I don’t think you could go any lower and get a ride that’s less harsh, or even have the height you have there and not still have a harsh ride. In the pic you have less than three inches of suspension so it needs to be firm or the wheels will hit, adding dropped spindles will not change that. Not wanting to pee on your parade or anything :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, in my opinion, of course :mrgreen:

Not going to go lower now - going to stay roughly the same height as i have anyway and keep current tyres :mrgreen:

current setup is the beam is on the lowest settign on the adjusters as it is running kyb gas shocks

adding the drop spindles will give me 3 1/2" drop with adjusters on highest setting so will defo give me more suspension and a smoother ride as its not simply lowered on adjusters now?

Latest posts