Rear Brake Drum Swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimVeeW

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have looked for an answer but cant see one. I am not near my bus so apologies if this is a stupid question.

I have a 71 bus with 112 rear drums and want to put some wide 5 205's onto my bus. I have the 205 adaptors for the front discs so no problem there and I bought a spare pair of 205 hubs with drums.

My question is: Can I just take off the 112 drums and fit the 205 drums without changing anything else? TIA Jim

No, they have different hubs, shoes, wheel cylinders and backing plates. You either convert the lot or buy more adaptors. 71’s have a completely different rear set up.

Thanks, I thought as much but just wondered. Not sure they do adaptors for the rear? Looks like a day swapping the whole lot over.

@K@rlos Thanks mate, for some reason I didn't think the adaptors fitted. I will try the front adaptors I have over the weekend and if all's good will just buy a pair of them rather than mess about swapping hubs over. :D

The adaptors don’t fit, the wheel fouls the wing and won’t go under plus the adapter tips need grinding down to fit in the drum rim so will fit the 205 hub and drum tomorrow

The late bay rears have a much larger friction area than the earlies. As a result using late fronts and early rears or the other way around isn't recommended, and could lead to unstable braking at high decel. I recommend finding a way of bolting your late drums to early wheels- maybe contact CSP and ask if they'll sell you some blank ones for machining seperately?

Thanks guys, will look into it but I have a 71 early bay with front disc and rear drum, standard 5x112 wheels. 4” narrowed beam and lowered.

I always liked the wide 5 wheels and got a great deal on some 5x205 wheels and tyres on the forum so decided to fit them before the bad weather kicks in so fitted the front wheels using the adaptors from JK. It was after the initial chat on the thread above and decided to go for another pair of adaptors but the standard rear drums are too small to fit the adaptors on so then ground off the tips of one adapter and fitted nice but when I fitted the wheel, it won’t fit into the arch.

I also got a pair of 205 hubs and drums complete for next to nothing or thought I had. One went on with no problems, 46mm nut and split pin fitted perfectly but the other has a short shaft and the 46mm nut doesn’t go all the way on.

My pics are too big to upload but I have a thread on earlybay forum showing the problem but thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Latest posts