3ltr porcshe in an early bay any advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchi

Reaction score
got an old 3ltr Porsche with gearbox and drive shafts ,I want to put in my early 71 bay has any one done it before ,does it fit is drive shafts to long any help welcome many thanks yet again,

Which gearbox is it?

I've got a 901 gearbox (5 speed) in my bus with a VW engine. Installation was straightforward (ish).

If it's a G50 I think they're a bit bigger, and I don't have any experience :)

my mate who has it said its 20 years old laying in a barn ,don't no much on porsches only its all there car was a right off this was pulled out and put to one side ,sounds like I must buy it and try,

It can be done, I helped a mate put a 3 litre and box into a 66 split. Fitting them wasn't the issue but rebuilding the engine was, make sure that engine is in good condition because you will be spending more on that than what it will cost to build a 2.3 litre type 1 motor with more power than the Porsche

K@rlos said:
It can be done, I helped a mate put a 3 litre and box into a 66 split. Fitting them wasn't the issue but rebuilding the engine was, make sure that engine is in good condition because you will be spending more on that than what it will cost to build a 2.3 litre type 1 motor with more power than the Porsche

I think the going rate for a blueprinted 3.2 SC motor is about £30k.

sparkywig said:
K@rlos said:

I think the going rate for a blueprinted 3.2 SC motor is about £30k.

My point exactly. I’m not saying don’t do it, I think it’s a cool engine swap BUT chopping the bus about to then fit a shagged Engine which need that spent on it would be rather frustrating. A 3 litre is about 200hp I think, a 250hp turbo type 1 would be about 10-12k.

Latest posts