An expensive issue?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miseryguts

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I decided to fit a new distributor the other day, I changed from the 009 to a SVDA. I took off both valve covers to make doubly sure that I was at Number 1 and not Number 3 and I come upon a issue what i wasn't at all expecting, a flow of oil from the cylinder head (Valves 3 and 4) onto the floor below. The only thing i had on hand at the time to catch the oil was the rocker cover. By the time I had finished adjusting valves it was about a third full. I am a total novice really with regards to working on cars and especially old vw's but I am pretty sure that is not supposed to happen.

The questions are :-

What are the potential/probable causes for this?
Is it a problem?
Was it worth readjusting valves with this issue?
Can i run the van?
Is it potentially expensive?

Thanks

It is perfectly normal for there to be oil under the valve cover, but what you have described does sound excessive - unless the van is parked leaning over to one side?

Assuming you were doing this on a cold engine, the only issue I could think of would be that there is a slight blockage in the push rod tubes which was stopping oil from draining away. You could probably get away with unbolting the rockers, sliding the push rods out ( keep them in cylinder order) and then shine a torch down each push rod tube to ensure there is nothing obvious like a push rod seal come adrift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers.

I will have to try and have a look at this over the next few days.

Assuming that it possibly is a push rod seal that has come adrift do you reckon it is an engine out job?

Would I be right to assume not to drive it?

If it is a push rod seal then it is no problem. No need for the engine to come out either. Just replace the offending push rod tube with a spring loaded one and new seals.

Miseryguts said:
Cheers.

I will have to try and have a look at this over the next few days.

Assuming that it possibly is a push rod seal that has come adrift do you reckon it is an engine out job?

Would I be right to assume not to drive it?

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that that is the issue - there are 4 push rod tubes, so even if one was a bit blocked, the others should still be able to drain. You're not really going to know until you can inspect, but normally a bad push rod seal manifests itself as an external oil leak in this area as well. If it isn't leaking, I'd pull the rockers to inspect, but certainly wouldn't touch the push rod tubes / seals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound like there's a problem to me, what looks like a lot of oil isn't actually much at all.
You'll always get some oil seepage when doing the valve clearances unless you drain the oil first.

A bit of oil nothing to worry about but if it’s gushing the engine over full with oil?

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Unfortunately not had a chance to look yet, for some reason I ended up with a busy week last week. It’s amazing how much free time you think you have which during the course of the week just dissipates. Hopefully will get to have a good look this week.

Cheers

Latest posts